Red Cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George883

I finished a red cedar pen this morning using Gluboost. Of the 8 or so pens that I've finished using Gluboost this was the first one that turned out so-so. Maybe it was the heat, about 94 degrees, or maybe it was just me or maybe cedar and Gluboost don't play well together. Any suggestions? Thanks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
George, I have not used GluBoost yet so I cannot comment specifically on that brand. It does get GREAT reviews.

However, something that is not mentioned often, and one of the reasons, in my opinion, that there are so many different methods of applications has to do with weather, temperature and humidity. Most people and even experts speak of CA from the context of where they live and sometime don't understand that CA acts differently in other places.

I have lived in MS and currently live here; I lived for 26 years along coastal Japan (Osaka and Nagoya/Toyota City). There were times when would have several days in a row with below 50% humidity along the coast. High and low humidity change some of the characteristics of CA curing.

And CA cures at different rates at different temps. I noticed regularly that 95° and "dry" caused different drying characteristics than 95° at 100% humidity. Not much but it was noticeable. CA cures much slower below 72° than at 85° and the curing time increases even more when it drops down into the lower 60°s and lower. Add to it humidity increase and decreases and and that changes things too.

I would suggest to experiment by putting several (3 - 5 or 6) coats of THIN on one blank or two, then try several (3 to 4) coats of Medium or Thick on a different blank and see if you notice any differences. There are many variables, and temps below 72° and about 90° and above change the dynamics of the curing, not majorly, but enough to throw one off.

There are people on this forum that make good finishes in their shops in the upper 40s° and lower 50s°. But they just take the extra time it takes to cure. And those who live where it is in the 90s° (and not air conditioned) know that CA cures instantly.

CEDAR: it should not be the cedar unless you have some green - just harvested cedar.

George883

Thanks Hank. I've been pretty happy using Gluboost. So far its been easy to use and the finishes look great. I think you're right about humidity and temperature. I live in the Phoenix area and as usual its been getting hotter as the summer progresses. It was late morning when I started applying the finish, temp about 95 degrees, not sure what the humidity was but its low this time of year. Going to try your suggestion to see what happens. Also going to try putting the same finish on at different times during the day. Don't think the cedar is green.

Top Bottom