Recycled Skateboard Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KateHarrow

KateHarrow

We're going to start carrying skateboard blanks over at Bullseye Turning Supply pretty soon so I had to turn the stock and try it out. Skateboards are made of layers of hard maple plys, so it turned nicely with minimal tear out.

E996F518-64F4-43F1-AA60-6279C9A6C9BA.jpeg

DEAC43A4-80F6-41E7-A406-615CC7C72B53.jpeg
3E9033C0-ADE3-4A18-8BD1-7A7ADD46C638.jpeg
DF762904-35BF-49E4-9CDA-112E465B56E5.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Nice pen kit, workmanship and material. You should not have problems finding broken boards there in Southern California. See you at SWAT.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Most of the USA has used skateboard availability--but the processing seems intense to me. When the skateboards are made, the maple is pressed into shape...not flat at all. So the recycling starts with removal of the grip tape then the squaring and flattening begin. Don't know if it's the same maker, but "How It's Made" did a segment on recycled skateboards a while back--looked like a ton of work!!
Great looking pen though--and i bet it's way different than SpectraPly. I've stabilized a few SpectraPly blanks and prefer turning it that way, but i wasn't a fan of the color changes. Some are okay though.
earl

KateHarrow

Most of the USA has used skateboard availability--but the processing seems intense to me. When the skateboards are made, the maple is pressed into shape...not flat at all. So the recycling starts with removal of the grip tape then the squaring and flattening begin. Don't know if it's the same maker, but "How It's Made" did a segment on recycled skateboards a while back--looked like a ton of work!!
Great looking pen though--and i bet it's way different than SpectraPly. I've stabilized a few SpectraPly blanks and prefer turning it that way, but i wasn't a fan of the color changes. Some are okay though.
earl
We are working with a partner who specializes in skateboards and recycled skateboard projects so it has helped having a SME to work through the process with us. And because they're upcycled of course there is the occasional screw hole and such but for the most part these are solid, clean blanks. I'm working through what sizes to offer besides the pen blanks and hopefully we will have them available on the website soon!

Top Bottom