Recommendations Requested

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ohmo

O

Ohmo

The instant I finished my first pen, yesterday, I realized there is nowhere to put it! Not bad for a third try (first two blew up on the mandrel @ about 3K rpm o_O, but that's another story for another day) in about 10 years, but, now what? I need something to store and, maybe display, my not-quite-yet masterpieces. My current goal is 30 turnings (pens, stoppers, and other gadgets) in 30 days. I'd also like to hit some craft fairs/shows when the Covid is not longer such a threat.

What would you recommend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Congratulations on your first pen ! . But with only one under your belt, your expressed concern could be just a little premature.

How much are you prepared to spend on display boxes/trays ? . They do (or did) exist.

Kenny Durrant

There are pen cases available if you don't mind spending the money. They are easy to carry and can be seen without having to pick them up, meaning you could tell if your interested in it just by looking at it in the case. Something I like is the wooden cigar boxes. There are some nice ones out there. I put foam in the bottom and cover it with satin or velvet but the pen would move around while carrying. There are some cigar boxes that have dividers in them but the pens would be hard to see if you wanted to display them at a show.

eharri446

Check with Amazon. They have a 34 pen display case for $64.00. It has three levels with a lid. Or, they have a 48 pen carrying case for $20.00.

KenB259

I bought a couple of these. Pens are very well protected and no elastic stretched across the pens to affect the finish. Easy to transport and set up as a display. No negatives, except the price.
Pen Case.jpg

O

Ohmo

Congratulations on your first pen ! . But with only one under your belt, your expressed concern could be just a little premature.

How much are you prepared to spend on display boxes/trays ? . They do (or did) exist.
Thanks for finding something you think is wrong about me/my post. :mad:

What does what I'm prepared to spend have to do with anything? I asked for recommendations, not for cheap recommendations or expensive recommendations. Just recommendations and not the third degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Ohmo

I bought a couple of these. Pens are very well protected and no elastic stretched across the pens to affect the finish. Easy to transport and set up as a display. No negatives, except the price.View attachment 297928

Thanks for the response. I looked at those on Pen State's site, and read the reviews. I think I'd like those, but considering the reviews, the cost looks like highway robbery.

jttheclockman

Easy Mike. First is we do not know you very well yet. The more posts you make and show us some of your work we get a better feel. My suggestion and again have no idea of your abilities but you can easily make display racks or carrying case/boxes. Just do a search here and you will see examples of what others have done. As far as shows, who knows what will be available to us. But can say you will need inventory. At least 100 pens and about 25 bottlestoppers and 25 of any other items. The more the better the chance of sales. Now until you get a feel of what customers want, you will be stabbing in the dark. But that is the nature of this hobby. Yes it can get expensive. There are cheaper cases out there and then there are even more expensive ones. Again look around and google is your friend. I will tell you what I do. I carry my pens in a felt bag and when selling at shows I take them out and display on racks. yes a little time consuming setting up but easy to carry. Pack them back up and put in small plastic boxes for next time. I have different boxes for different style pens so somewhat a system. But it works for me. You will find what works for you.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/...term=4577541786566076&utm_content=Pen Turning

magpens

What does what I'm prepared to spend have to do with anything? I asked for recommendations, not for cheap recommendations or expensive recommendations. Just recommendations and not the third degree.

I sincerely apologize for offending you. . I started my post with a Congratulatory comment, followed by something that I thought was light-hearted.

And then a practical question regarding a suitable price range. . I am very sorry for seeming to be inappropriate in my response to your query.

Thanks for the response. I looked at those on Pen State's site, and read the reviews. I think I'd like those, but considering the reviews, the cost looks like highway robbery.

It is indeed true that the available pen "display cases" tend to be rather expensive for what you get and their quality is marginal.
At least, that is my opinion. . I have bought a few and found them to be that way.

jjjaworski

SteveJ

Here are a couple of cases by exotic blanks:

Leather 50 Pen Carry Case - This one is $50

Leatherette Pen Storage Case - This one is $40 and holds 30 or 48 pens.

I hope you meet your goal of 30 turnings in 30 days! Show us some of your work, and try to hold on to that first pen so you can look back in a year or so to see how much you have improved.

Also, Mal is a good guy. His past posts give me no indication that he was intentionally being snarky or mean!
[h3][/h3]

O

Ohmo

My wife says that, for whatever reason, I attract ****. No matter how nice I try to be, **** always finds me. These forums don't seem to be an exception to the rule. Can't win for losin'.

Bye

TonyL

My wife says that, for whatever reason, I attract ****. No matter how nice I try to be, **** always finds me. These forums don't seem to be an exception to the rule. Can't win for losin'.

Bye
This is a great group of folks (as I am sure you are). Give it a chance (if you want). Most are glad they did. I hope you find the IAP right for you. It is hard to interpret the tone or intention of someone's comment just by what is written. Much peace and good health to you either way.

egnald

Wow - That kind of response was completely unexpected. All things considered, inquiring about a budgetary amount doesn't seem to be out of line and doesn't indicate any kind of intention to offend. Although at times we are all emotionally sensitive to particular issues or have stressors that others are not aware of. Hopefully this thread can simply end without guilt and rumination for all concerned. - Dave

Top Bottom