Recommendations for new tool rest for Shop Fox W1704?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atsansone

In my various research, I found that getting a smoother tool rest could ease my turning. I have a Shop Fox W1704. The Tool Rest post is 12mm. There's nothing that I've found for sale that meets that measurement. Any advice on where I could purchase a new rest or two with that post size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I would suggest contacting Rick Herrell (@rherrell) . He makes the best tool rests and can likely make one to fit your lathe. Page 20 in his new catalog. Link below.

jttheclockman

I highly recommend the Robust tool rests for lathes. I do not like the round bar type. I have a whole set of them that I just do not use. The Robust make different sizes as well as lengths. What I like is the way you can lay your finger in the guide and steady your hand so easily. They have gone up in price as well as everything else but to me well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=robust+t...2_13458077&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6jwr7p30yk_p

InkyMike

I would suggest contacting Rick Herrell (@rherrell) . He makes the best tool rests and can likely make one to fit your lathe. Page 20 in his new catalog. Link below.

I second this - Rick's work is top notch (I actually made my own from round stock I turned down to 12mm and drilled and tapped.) I have the same lathe.

1706592031266.jpeg

Top Bottom