Recommendations for kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SpiritRider

I could use some help!
Fountain pens are selling well in our area and I want to improve quality of what I have and offer different levels. Does anyone have recommendations for a good entry, mid and upper level kits? By entry level I was thinking of around $45-50 or less.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Bullseye Turning Supply has a nice American made fountain/or rollerball called the Apollo. Nice make.

I could use some help!
Fountain pens are selling well in our area and I want to improve quality of what I have and offer different levels. Does anyone have recommendations for a good entry, mid and upper level kits? By entry level I was thinking of around $45-50 or less.
Are you talking about $45-$50 as your cost on the components or selling price?

Along with Bullseye I'd add in Beaufort and Dayacom. They both are a notch (or 12) above the typical kit I've seen.

In addition to the Apollo FP from Bullseye, Kate also offers the Artemis, a slightly larger pen. McKenzie Penworks sells the Desire FP.

The Bullseye and McKenzie products are stainless steel and made in the USA by McKenzie Penworks.

I use the Beaufort ink kits almost exclusively. I also like the McKenzie stainless kits and have been wanting to try the apollo. Only reason I haven't is that I've got a bazillion kits and trying to turn through what I have before buying more

I've had good luck with PSI's Presimo for a lower end offering. The cap is screw on rather than the magnetic we see with some. As cool as the magnetic caps are, they seem to dry out quicker.

I use the Majestic Jr. as my higher end offering.

Lots of good choices out there. Good luck!

I am thinking selling price. Thanks everyone I'll look into these
That's (at least in my experience) a VERY low selling price for a fountain pen. If you're able to keep material costs at or under $15 you're pricing your labor at $10-$15 an hour, and $15-$17 in my state is minimum wage. If you want to keep costs low however, the eco zen fountain pen kits from ExoticBlanks are under $9. In my experience so far they're great quality kits for the price and people love magnetic caps. If you can keep blanks down to ~$4 plus ~$2 for "misc" material costs, you can be making $30-$35 per pen. I would recommend you raise your prices, frankly. Especially considering with some fountain pen kit and blank combinations you can be at $70-$120 in material costs alone. Make a couple pens with ~$30 kits and ~$10 blanks, and test the waters in your area to see if you can sell a couple in the $100-$130 range, and that way you can value your labor at $25-$35 an hour, and adjust your other prices accordingly. If you're making quality pens with a good fit & CA finish, your labor is at LEAST worth $20-$25 an hour. Personally I base my labor, the way I value my time, by at or over my hourly pay in my day job. Perhaps my living in WA state is the reason I believe that, I've never lived in a low cost state (IL—>WA), but that's just my $.02.

Back
Top Bottom