Recommendations for a 2nd Lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DWulf

Hello all!

I currently have a Jet 1221VS (which I love) but I would like to get a second lathe for finishing. I use my brother's workshop to turn, but his house is a 30-40 minute round trip drive from where I live. Some days all I have is a spare hour to work on pens, and I don't want to spend half of it driving :) I want to get a second lathe to keep at my house just for finishing/polishing. That way I can keep doing all the drilling/turning/sanding at his shop (with its excellent dust collection) and apply the finish/polish at my house (which has no dust collection). Any recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwarmbrodt

For the same reason I bought the cheap Harbor Freight VS lathe, with coupon a touch over $100. Just have to deal with MT1 mandrel. Works perfect for finishing.

Dan Masshardt

I have a similar desire for a second lathe.

My shop is unheated and I've been thinking about setting up a small area in the basement for turning in the winter and other times when I have the kids in the house.

Then my wife can think I'm going downstairs to help with laundry until I get 'lost' down there. ;-)

shastastan

I have a similar desire for a second lathe.

My shop is unheated and I've been thinking about setting up a small area in the basement for turning in the winter and other times when I have the kids in the house.

Then my wife can think I'm going downstairs to help with laundry until I get 'lost' down there. ;-)

Similar problem here, Dan. I did buy one of those dish radiant heaters from Costco and it puts out some pretty good heat. I usually turn it on for 15-20 mins before I go to the shop.

Another thing I discovered by accident is I bring the item into the house and let it dry in the bathroom. Works good for wipe on poly but I wouldn't recommend doing it with Deft or other products with potent fumes. FWIW

Jim Burr

Banned
When I became proficient on the big Jet (1642) I donated the 1014 to the church...those kids love making pens and stuff on it!! Make sure you get something that will function as more than a polishing system!!

TimS124

Keep an eye out for a used lathe as well. I've picked up a couple of Jet 1014VS lathes well below what a new one would've cost….both came from Craigslist.

Cmiles1985

For $100, the HF mini VS lathe is well worth it. As was said above, MT1 is a pain in the butt to find stuff for, but it's out there. Mine just became a finishing/kids lathe. It may not be the best mini lathe around, but for $100 and a 90 day return policy (plus, HF is the ONLY place locally that sells lathes), I figured it was well worth a shot, and it has paid its dues.

lorbay

You may as well get a good one because one thing will lead to another. Like, oh I will just turn this little piece and then that piece and pretty soon it will all be done on that lathe as it's a lot easier than driving to your brothers house. Just saying.
Lin

in my shop I have. jet 1014 and a Jet 1642, bot are variable speed and would buy them again. I had a jet 1014 sold it and purchased another because it is a great lathe for pen turning. look for a used unit, change the bearings is easy and cheap then it is like new.

go used on the jet 1014 variable speed you would be satisfied

kovalcik

First, I would look for a used Jet 1014 or 1220. Then your attachments for the 1221 will fit if you ever need to use the new lathe to turn. I have a Jet 1220 mainly for pens and small stuff, and a Jet 1642 mainly for bowls and usually have something set up on both so definitely get a lathe you would not mind using for regular turning.

Top Bottom