recommendations for a 12in disc sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lathe monkey

hello, I'm looking at getting a bench mount 12 inch disk sander, king canada looks good and the price is right, the rikon looks to be a bit better with a cast iron table but a lot more money, busy bee looks ok as well, not really a big selection here in canada.
than you
lathe monkey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Have to say I was looking for a 12" disc sander a few years ago also and decided to step it up and go with a floor model and glad I did. I got the 24" belt and 12" disc Jet sander and actually use the belt more than the disc. If i need disc i usually break out my Delta 6 " desk top unit because I hate changing paper on the larger one and I have so much paper for the smaller unit. But the larger belt has saved me many times.

Copyofsander (1).jpg

Dehn0045

I don't have one, but if I was going to buy I'd do the Harbor Freight (Central Machinery), with 20% coupon its about $140. Table probably isn't the greatest, but probably comparable to the similar models in the less than $300 range. If I needed more precision I'd do a DIY table. JT's setup is awesome, but I got a lot more tools that I need before I can drop $1200 on a belt/disc sander.

jttheclockman

They are pricey but you get what you pay for and if accuracy is what you need you will pay a little more. I do not remember what I paid for that one. I am sure I got a deal on it. Someone had to be running a deal.

Curly

Sam unfortunately there is no Harbor Freight up here and with the borders being closed, possibly until third week in August at least, can't drive down to get one. HF has ridiculous shipping fees to us too so it works out better for us to get local unless it is something Amazon sells.

Dehn0045

Sam unfortunately there is no Harbor Freight up here and with the borders being closed, possibly until third week in August at least, can't drive down to get one. HF has ridiculous shipping fees to us too so it works out better for us to get local unless it is something Amazon sells.

I didn't see he is in Canada - the Canada King model seems very comparable, and similar price.

I just made a 12" disc sander to fit the lathe. I turned a 12" disc, mounted it to a waste block which has 1" X 8 tpi tapped into it. Spins right onto the headstock, and is variable speed. The tilting table is made using plans I found in Shop Notes.

Buckmark13

I just made a 12" disc sander to fit the lathe. I turned a 12" disc, mounted it to a waste block which has 1" X 8 tpi tapped into it. Spins right onto the headstock, and is variable speed. The tilting table is made using plans I found in Shop Notes.
How do you adhere and change the paper? Spray adhesive, hook and loop, or something else?

I've done the same and used spray adhesive, but it's a pain when it's time for a new sheet or you want to quickly change to a different grit.

More4dan

Here is what has been recommended for attaching sandpaper to my Aluminum disc. The paper is suppose to be removable and the glue reusable multiple times. A 9" disk allows the use of normal sized sheets cut to fit.
DBDDBF02-BD88-45B9-A8B4-D9A19D83B9A1.jpeg

ramaroodle

I don't have one, but if I was going to buy I'd do the Harbor Freight (Central Machinery), with 20% coupon its about $140. Table probably isn't the greatest, but probably comparable to the similar models in the less than $300 range. If I needed more precision I'd do a DIY table. JT's setup is awesome, but I got a lot more tools that I need before I can drop $1200 on a belt/disc sander.
I just picked up a HF 12" on CList for $60. Dust collection works fine. All it needs to do is spin and it does. Works great. I also have a HF 6" x 4" disc/belt sander. The 12" with 180 grit paper makes quick work of pen blanks.

Top Bottom