Recommendation for Bending block to bend watch parts needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

l have decided o give watch part pens a try. I am interested in member's recommendations for bending blocks to form the parts for gluing to the pen. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Larrry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Find some PVC water pipe, the thick walled heavy stuff used for water and sewers. Clamp a couple pieces together and drill a hole between the two pieces the diameter of the tube you want to put the parts on. A hole slightly smaller is better. Lay the gear in it and press a transfer punch/disassembly tool on it to bend. A few different sizes will cover the tubes you are likely to cast. If you want pre-made metal search for jewellers dapping block.

Kenny Durrant

I use a similar method that Curly uses. I just use a block of wood. I also bought a pair of plastic jaw pliers to start the bend on the punch. It seems to me I can get a better center on buttons and coins doing that first. The plastic jaws doesn't mar the surface.

jttheclockman

Well I do alot of watch part and trinket pen blanks and I too use Jewler pliers to start bends. I have several sizes. I use a metal dapping block that has various sized half round grooves. I use the transfer punches from Harbor Freight. It takes finesse to get proper shape. Not all watch dials are meant to bend well. Some are not meant to be cast because they have a paper dial. Some have parts that fall off very easily when bent. Some dials are too thick or the metal is not bendable. One thing I always do with all watch dials is on the back side I transfer the 12 and 6 o'clock marks and then draw a line straight down and use that as my reference to bend on that line to center the dial on the tube. I hate seeing these watch dials that are off center because that just tells me they were looking for more of a Steampunk look and haphazard is allowed. If using mechanical wind watches and then use all the gears and parts then again some just do not bend well. Good luck.

Larryreitz

Well I do alot of watch part and trinket pen blanks and I too use Jewler pliers to start bends. I have several sizes. I use a metal dapping block that has various sized half round grooves. I use the transfer punches from Harbor Freight. It takes finesse to get proper shape. Not all watch dials are meant to bend well. Some are not meant to be cast because they have a paper dial. Some have parts that fall off very easily when bent. Some dials are too thick or the metal is not bendable. One thing I always do with all watch dials is on the back side I transfer the 12 and 6 o'clock marks and then draw a line straight down and use that as my reference to bend on that line to center the dial on the tube. I hate seeing these watch dials that are off center because that just tells me they were looking for more of a Steampunk look and haphazard is allowed. If using mechanical wind watches and then use all the gears and parts then again some just do not bend well. Good luck.
Thanks JT, to you and the others who have replied. I think I have enough info to take a try, albeit a slow one, on making watch part pens. I am recovering from a couple bouts with pneumonia so I won't be showing one in short order. Also I have put aside for a while exhibiting in A&C shows. I was getting tire of making the same old type of pen just because they sold. My plan at least is to take a crack a higher end offerings just to try something that I admire that others make. If I get something that is halfways decent I'll post pictues. In the meantime I will enjoy looking at yours and others.

thanks again,
Larry

Larryreitz

Find some PVC water pipe, the thick walled heavy stuff used for water and sewers. Clamp a couple pieces together and drill a hole between the two pieces the diameter of the tube you want to put the parts on. A hole slightly smaller is better. Lay the gear in it and press a transfer punch/disassembly tool on it to bend. A few different sizes will cover the tubes you are likely to cast. If you want pre-made metal search for jewellers dapping block.

Thanks Curly.

Larryreitz

I use a similar method that Curly uses. I just use a block of wood. I also bought a pair of plastic jaw pliers to start the bend on the punch. It seems to me I can get a better center on buttons and coins doing that first. The plastic jaws doesn't mar the surface.
Thanks Kenny. Looks like I should put a pair of plastic pliers on my Amazon list.

Top Bottom