Reclaimed Wood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

Here's a pen I made from the reclaimed wood taken from the crib dam in the Rappahannock River. This one is old growth pine, and is similar to the lots of blanks I have for sale in the Individual classifieds. I did adjust the brightness of the photo a bit, it came out a bit dark. It now better reflects how the pen looks in person. The certificate behind it is the ones I include with each blank. The certificates were issued by Friends of the Rappahannock. All comments and criticisms welcome.

2007521163129_2007-012PineCigarSatinGoldCS.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That's really pretty James; nice job! Can't wait to have you post the OTHER pens, too! [;)]

Very nice seeing you and your family this weekend; we'll all have to try to get together at a location more conducive to talking and playing (at least the later for the kids!)

Draken

As requested, here's a bigger photo of the pen itself.

2007521172635_2007-012PineCigarSatinGoldClose.jpg

I agree Jim, need to get together and let the kids play. We didn't want to take up all of your shopping time, which is why we decided to jet. Hope you found what you were looking for.

gerryr

Very nice looking wood and a nice job on the pen too. Is that the natural color of the wood? I've never seen pine that dark.

Draken

The pine has been underwater for over 150 years, so it old growth that has absorbed some minerals and has darkened up. I also used BLO, which popped the grain a bit and darkened it slightly, but most of the color comes from its time in the water. If you look at the blanks I have for sale in IC, you'll see the wide variety of color, depending on where in the log it came from. The log I started with was 10"x10"x4', and killed 3 bandsaw blades due to the high mineral content. Sparks were flying while using the bandsaw. Finally resorted to using a chainsaw and SCMS to cut this into blank size. Even then, I was getting sparks while cutting. [:D]

txcwboy

I have some Timeless Timbers Resawn Maple. Pulled from the great lakes I believe.It also is old growth wood. Said to be up to 625 yrs old.I have a 4"x4'x1" piece of it.

Dave

MDWine

HEY WAIT A MINIT.... you guys had a "NoVa Meeting" without me? ;)

Nice lookin' pen James, what did you use for the finish? I was showing Ken those blanks just last weekend! I'm think I gotta cut a couple some time soon! Nice job!

Draken

Not really a NoVA meeting, rather a blank exchange meeting, similar to the one you and I had in the parking lot of HF. [:)] I do need to work on plans for that cookout/meeting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom