Recessed clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

Lee here are the photos and how l done my recessed clip.
1] place primer end into hole then knock out primer using a small round file.
2] drill a 4mm hole all the way thru primer hole, then drill another hole 13/64 don't go all the way thru this time leave a bit of brass there to hold the threaded stud the 3rd photo shows this small lip that holds the threaded stud
4th photo parts l used, a cap mandrel from csusa,a Americana end cap & nut a gun clip. 5th photo shows cap size.

Attachments

• 100_6259.jpg
    100_6259.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 476
  • 100_6269.jpg
    100_6269.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_6281.jpg
    100_6281.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 100_6185.jpg
    100_6185.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 100_6286.jpg
    100_6286.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 358
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

Next just notch out case to take the pen clip, the clip also needs too be filed to fit, then fit nut into the bush, then glue bush into bullet case. also l hope this all helps .Here are 2 photos of the pen with the custom clip the kit is a Patriot from CSUSA the blank is water buffalo with no 'cracking yet' the bullet is 44 Mag,also if you want to remove the 44 mag primer using a press block drill a 1/2inch hole and a 9/32 hole into a piece of wood l didn't show the 44 mag press block in the first photo and also the 1/2 inch it is a tight fit.

Attachments

• 100_6173.jpg
    100_6173.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_6178.jpg
    100_6178.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

workinforwood

Very well done...darn if I wasn't just doing this exact same thing this morning..only not to a bullet. Last cartridge I did, I managed to ream out the hole in the clip, cut the cartridge right immediately below the indentation up by the firing pin then slip the clip around that and put the casing back together.

WoodWrite

Very nice tutorial! I was looking at something similar and I was thinking "maybe a tap & die thinge..."

I love it when pen makers come up with an idea, work it out, and then share it here so everyone can learn. Thank you.

KenV

Good techniquer -- Now Doc will be after you to put that most excellent assembly into a tutorial for the Library. That will be an especially nice touch when combined with Don Ward's approach to a split rifle case. Thanks for sharing the details and shortening the prototype process for the rest of us.

CUSA also sells the little screw threaded studs (I have a little baggie of them hidding here somewhere) as a separate item if you do not want to turn down a cap. I think they are steel instead of brass, and that may have the advantage of better matching the thin metal cap of a primer.

Thanks again

johncrane

Thank you guys this pen was an experiment,and it probably will stay in my growing collection which we all have, anyway Lee had seen my pen and ask me how l done it, that's it, lam sure Lee will come up with something better, Ken the brass cap turned very easy using a parting tool, l used the cap and nut which l had on hand at the time of need, the European cap has the same thread too, l was also thinking about the weight and l didn't want too make it top heavy as these bullet pens are already heavy,and yes you could also thread the cap studs from CSUSA into aluminium stock, maybe silver would be ok then just turn it down to fit the primer hole.

Last edited:

johnelbar

my first post - i'm sure I will do it right. Anyhow, in reading your instructions I was that you mentioned how you cut the pleased the shell case - that was good. then you allowed that the water buffalo had cracked - I have been mixing that in with some of the cartridge pens. I wonder what makes it crack. I have built a lot of moose antler pens and have experienced some cracking. I got so whern I inserted the nibs and whatever that I would relieve the inside of the pen brass so there was not much pressure onthe nib and I depended mostly on ca gleu to hold it in place. I thought it was an improvement. Don't know as the age of the antler was a factor - I don't know about dryness. Any feelings?

Top Bottom