Recessed Clip Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

Could somebody point me in the right direction for making a recessed clip Baron? I know Vick has a tutorial in the archives on doing it with the Americana ..... and, I've seen Russ' great pictures of his Barons. I just need advice on how to get started.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

1) cut the ring (the thingy that goes around the finial and usually locks the clip in place) and remove about 1/3 of it
2) using an appropriately sized Harbor Freight transfer punch, re-bend the remainder of the ring so it fits inside the upper tube
3) cut a hole in the barrel that is JUST BARELY big enough for the re-shaped ring to fit through
4) feed the ring into the hole, and secure in place

At least, that's how I understand it working...
3) carefully

bjackman

Originally posted by JimGo
4) feed the ring into the hole, and secure in place

At least, that's how I understand it working...
3) carefully

In a nutshell you hit it!
I would add to your number 4, I use a plug from a small cross section of dowel. (turned or pre made, whichever gives you a slip fit inside the cap's tube) A small flat is sanded onto the side of the plug so some of the epoxy used to glue the clip and plug into place can escape back up into the tube to be cleaned out, instead of creating a perfect seal that hydraulicly ejects the clip out the slot.
Russ F. is using a slightly different method, where he drills a slightly oversize hole, turns, finishes the pen and glues the tube in last, using the tube as the method to hold the clip in place up in the cap. Seems like a great idea, I just haven't had a chance to try it yet. It's hard to be motivated to go turn in the shop when we have not gotten above 32 degrees in about a month!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
some things I have learned along the way::

I have started gluing in the tube before turning, but leaving a little gap about 1/16" between the end of the tube and the bottom of the hole. Then I turn down the finial or whatever is used to hold the clip in place on a "normal" pen so it is down to the bare metal and a minimum thickness on the end, a 1/4" hole is drilled in the center, if there isn't one already there, to allow the glue to escape. Skip the hole and the glue will squeeze out around the clip. Hold the finial piece in place with a dowel, and remove the dowel before the gloue has cured. A little wax on the end of the dowel helps.

You can do the same thing with a ASlimLine. The only difference is that the tubes are smaller.

I have been bending the clip with a couple pairs of needle-nose pliers because I have been too cheap to go HF and buy a set of punches. Works the same way, as long as the OD of the clip ring is less than the OD of the brass tube. It looks ugly, but I can't tell the difference once the clip has been glued in place.

Beware of CA glue. It works, but things can easilly get glued in place before they have been adjusted to the final fit.

OR,
you can do it as described by Vick in his tutorial on the Americana. I have made several this way by silver soldering a tab to the stock clip, and then cutting off the clip ring. I was concerned about the strength of the solder joint, but we have 3 pens in normal for a year and nothing has broke, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom