Recent work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Here's a few I finished recently. I'm a little disappointed in the finish on all 3, but I'm still learning and practicing the BLO/CA technique.

No. 1 is an Americana Rollerball in Black Walnut
No. 2 is a Cigar style in Mesquite
No. 3 is a Satin Euro style in Cocobolo

Thanks for lookin....

20053163810_Black%20Walnut%20Rollerball.jpg

20053163829_Cigar%20in%20Mesquite.jpg

20053163850_Satin%20Euro%20in%20Cocobolo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Nicely turned, nice profile, good fit...good job. The mesquite is lighter than what is normally seen...looks good.

JimGo

Ken,
Very nice! I like the color of the cocobolo. Is Mesquite like Purpleheart and Cocobolo, where friction polish or a little heat bring out the darker colors?

KKingery

I got all 3 blanks from CSUSA awhile back, and they have just been sitting in the garage. I used the same technique of finish on all 3, but they all turned out completely different. For some reason, the Cocobolo/Euro almost looks like a wax finish (no wax or friction polish was used), just the BLO/CA initial coat, with 3 follow-up coats of straight CA. All sanded up through the 12000MM. I guess different woods take the BLO/CA finish a bit differently.

Gary Max

Ken pens look great. I am also seeing the difference in my finishing.
Different wood --even different temps in the shop have a effect on the finish---just keeps us on our toes.

opfoto

Nice job on all 3 pens Ken. Great fit on all 3. I actually like the finish on all 3. The satin kit (#3) esp. has a satiny finish to it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by KKingery
<br />Here's a few I finished recently. I'm a little disappointed in the finish on all 3, but I'm still learning and practicing the BLO/CA technique.

No. 1 is an Americana Rollerball in Black Walnut
No. 2 is a Cigar style in Mesquite
No. 3 is a Satin Euro style in Cocobolo

Thanks for lookin....

Ken I feel your pain over your finishing problem. You don't need to suffer. Send me the Cocobolo so you won't have to look at it anymore. Those are really nice, Dude, you do the Bayou State proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom