Recent Tapco Group Buy on 7.9x.6 Bock #6...does yours work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichAldrich

I purchased the 7.9x.6 tapco for the bock #6. It does not fit. Has anyone else tried theirs? I have two I ordered from Jick Wu and they both work great. Original and the +15%. Tried two different bock #6 nibs and no luck.

Have you tried yours and does it fit?

Thanks
Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

I did not buy one from the group buy, but I purchased one from fpnibs.com that did not work, and I borrowed a friend's (who I believe purchased it from the group buy) which did not work either. I decided not to mess with it any further, and just started single point cutting my bock sections.

RobS

D20 refers to the tolerance class of the tap, if you check the Beufortink website you will see they use D20.

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS

1635805961440.png

Brian G

I'm understanding that the 2017 and most recent group buys that included the taps for the Bock housings yielded Bock taps that have not worked. This was brought up after the 2017 group buy, but few weighed in on the thread where it was discussed. I don't know whether the 2020 group buy had an issue.

This isn't a criticism of the organizers, but I think we'd be wise to pause any other group buys on the taps for the Bock housings from Tapco until this is resolved. I participated in the 2017 group buy, but I confess that I haven't used the taps to know whether there is an issue with mine.

I'd think Tapco would want to know whether their product isn't of sufficient quality/tolerance to work. At a minimum, I think we should always take Phil Dart's advice and send a housing in advance of an order to make sure Tapco's effort is suitable.

Last edited:

duncsuss

D20 refers to the tolerance class of the tap, if you check the Beufortink website you will see they use D20.

Interesting.

Mine states it is D4 - and yet it has worked perfectly for the 3 or 4 Bock #6 sections I've made with it. (Although that might be because I chase the threads of the housing with a matching die.)

RobS

Interesting.

Mine states it is D4 - and yet it has worked perfectly for the 3 or 4 Bock #6 sections I've made with it. (Although that might be because I chase the threads of the housing with a matching die.)
Chasing the threads would solve the issue. Because you are cutting the threads to the same fit class.

RobS

I'm understanding that the 2017 and most recent group buys that included the taps for the Bock housings yielded Bock taps that have not worked. This was brought up after the 2017 group buy, but few weighed in on the thread where it was discussed. I don't know whether the 2020 group buy had an issue.

This isn't a criticism of the organizers, but I think we'd be wise to pause any other group buys on the taps for the Bock housings from Tapco until this is resolved. I participated in the 2017 group buy, but I confess that I haven't used the taps to know whether there is an issue with mine.

I'd think Tapco would want to know whether their product isn't of sufficient quality/tolerance to work. At a minimum, I think we should always take Phil Dart's advice and send a housing in advance of an order to make sure Tapco's effort is suitable.
This is not a Tapco issue, we specified the wrong fit class.

duncsuss

Chasing the threads would solve the issue. Because you are cutting the threads to the same fit class.

Rob, you are 100% correct - I just made a "test section" in clear acrylic acetate using the class D4 tap. It doesn't accept an un-chased Bock nib housing, and chasing the housing threads made it fit.

Guess I'll be purchasing one of the "known to work" taps since I'd rather not be forced to do this to every nib unit I build into a pen.

RobS

Rob, you are 100% correct - I just made a "test section" in clear acrylic acetate using the class D4 tap. It doesn't accept an un-chased Bock nib housing, and chasing the housing threads made it fit.

Guess I'll be purchasing one of the "known to work" taps since I'd rather not be forced to do this to every nib unit I build into a pen.
Yeah I feel your pain.

duncsuss

TwoCanSam

I purchased the 7.9x.6 tapco for the bock #6. It does not fit. Has anyone else tried theirs? I have two I ordered from Jick Wu and they both work great. Original and the +15%. Tried two different bock #6 nibs and no luck.

Have you tried yours and does it fit?

Thanks
Rich
Yes, I've had problems as well. The tap threads an "O" starter hole, which is more than 8.0 mm in diameter. I can make it work but certainly wasn't the quality I was expecting.

SWEPEN

Interesting.

We're did you get that die?

duncsuss

We're did you get that die?
It was a group buy here on IAP - the organiser included the option to get both tap and die for the Bock and JoWo nib housings.

Although the Bock #6 tap doesn't match the housing (as discussed here and several other threads), once the housing threads are chased with the die that came with the tap it all works ok.

Top Bottom