Recent Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

After becoming a new dad, both shop time and sleep have become much more limited. I was able to get these few pens done by chipping away 10 minutes at a time. A couple maple burl Sierras and a Tree of Heaven modified Long Boy.

Attachments

• PSX_20171216_141108.jpg
    PSX_20171216_141108.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 164
  • PSX_20171216_141037.jpg
    PSX_20171216_141037.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 177
  • PSX_20171216_140934.jpg
    PSX_20171216_140934.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

I never expected Tree of Heaven to actually furnish wood for a pen. I'd expect it to be like Aspen or Cottonwood. How did you get this idea?
One that surprised me was Chinaberry. It's prolific in west Oklahoma and more than one person has cut it for firewood and didn't remove the bark. You can actually here the caterpillars munching on the wood. It'll keep you up at night. But the wood is very dense and light colored. Just remove the bark.

Last edited:

OZturner

Glorious Pens Sam,
Beautiful Blanks, Well Turned, Fitted and Finished.
On Well Chosen Pen Kits,
Congratulations on the Pens, and also on becoming a Father,
Thrust that Mother and Babe are both doing well.
Brian.

Dehn0045

I never expected Tree of Heaven to actually furnish wood for a pen. I'd expect it to be like Aspen or Cottonwood. How did you get this idea?
One that surprised me was Chinaberry. It's prolific in west Oklahoma and more than one person has cut it for firewood and didn't remove the bark. You can actually here the caterpillars munching on the wood. It'll keep you up at night. But the wood is very dense and light colored. Just remove the bark.

I actually got the Tree of Heaven blanks from Georges Bits of Timber out of Australia, so the idea was his not mine. But I think it is the same species that is grown here in the US. This is the second pen that I have made with it, it turns and finishes easy and has a nice grain. I use this wood for my more religious friends and family, I call it one of my "Jesus woods". I got some chinaberry from George too, looking forward to turning it.

Glorious Pens Sam,
Beautiful Blanks, Well Turned, Fitted and Finished.
On Well Chosen Pen Kits,
Congratulations on the Pens, and also on becoming a Father,
Thrust that Mother and Babe are both doing well.
Brian.

Thanks Brian, indeed both mom and baby are doing great. My mother in-law just got into town from Minnesota so I let the ladies have a little "girl time" and snuck out to the garage for a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom