Recent experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

These are my trials with using purfling.
All comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Some very nice looks. Are you cutting slots for the veneers after the shape of the pen is done? What are you using to cut the slots? How deep are you cutting? Are you coating with epoxy after? Thanks

KenB259

Those are something to be proud of, I love them. On a side note, I had to look up what purfling was 🤣. Turned out I knew what it was, just not what it is called.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those are beautiful Alan. There is a lot of precision needed to calculate the depth as to avoid turning/sanding away the inlays! I suspect many trial and error and note taking.

Thank you for sharing, mighty impressive. 👏 👏 👏

Alan Morrison

Some very nice looks. Are you cutting slots for the veneers after the shape of the pen is done? What are you using to cut the slots? How deep are you cutting? Are you coating with epoxy after? Thanks
John, I cut the slots on the squared blank after it is on the tube using a slot cutter on a router table.
I go close to the tube and finish the slots using a rasp on a Dremel.
The purfling is epoxied in and the ends trimmed on the lathe before adding the material for the blank ends.
I will post some photographs soon.

Alan

Alan Morrison

Those are beautiful Alan. There is a lot of precision needed to calculate the depth as to avoid turning/sanding away the inlays! I suspect many trial and error and note taking.
Thanks for the comments, Mark.
I found the turning a lot easier when I realised that I needed to cut the slots for the purfling right down to the tube.
That took all the guess work out of it, but yes, there were a few binned tries before that.

Hope things are settled down for you.
Take care
Alan

jttheclockman

John, I cut the slots on the squared blank after it is on the tube using a slot cutter on a router table.
I go close to the tube and finish the slots using a rasp on a Dremel.
The purfling is epoxied in and the ends trimmed on the lathe before adding the material for the blank ends.
I will post some photographs soon.

Alan
OK got that part. Being that stuff is very thin, are you building up the layers in some way or are they celebrated within the blank and just recessed. That is probably the same stuff guitar makers use.

Alan Morrison

OK got that part. Being that stuff is very thin, are you building up the layers in some way or are they celebrated within the blank and just recessed. That is probably the same stuff guitar makers use.
John, I cut slots right down to the brass tube. The purfling is around 2.5mm thick which is just sufficient for a pen.
I only use a single layer.

Alan

Alan Morrison

I will spill the beans on Alan. He has been experimenting with the Japanese process of box marquetry called Yosegi for short. It is an exact science of perfection, or 1/100mm will result in errors on the other end. A quick glance at it is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosegi

Alan has mastered that precision and all I can say is WOW!
Hello Hank. Using this purfling is an awful lot easier than making Yosegi Zaiku patterns, though I have started back with it as my precision is far from perfect.
Thanks for your comments.

Alan

jttheclockman

John, I cut slots right down to the brass tube. The purfling is around 2.5mm thick which is just sufficient for a pen.
I only use a single layer.

Alan
That is thicker than I thought. Sure beats trying to do segmenting with tiny piece. Thanks for the photos and explanation. Nice work.

Top Bottom