Recent Custom Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

Here are my recent custom pens. Tried some different designs. Also used extra fine steel wool to get the satin finish on the black pen. Finally got to do a Bock #6 pen (Aurora Borealis) after getting the tap and nib needed. Looks like I need to clean up the threads on the Cappucino pen. Anyways, had fun making these and as always comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Amber (Jowo 6)

Satin Black (Jowo 6)

Aurora Borealis (Bock 6)

Cappucino (Jowo 6)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Thanks everyone. It really has been fun with these custom pens. There is always something new to try and learn from these customs. Learning to make adjustments here and there to get just the right fit (ie. posting the cap to barrel). Recently, I learned to leave extra material on the ends to allow making the final cut without showing the dimple made by the live center. And just practicing and learning to use the skew gives you so much versatility and allow to make those fine/thin cuts in tight spaces (like the pointed finials on the amber pen). Anyways, for those interested, there is information and tutorial in the library here on how to get started. The one that got me started was the tutorial authored by George (aka Texatdurango) on making the section (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/making-fountain-pen-section-tutorial-88966/)

Very nice, but you're going to have to share the secret on the satin black!
No secret. Actually learned it from another post here. I basically turned, sanded from 400 to 12k micro mesh, then buffed it using extra fine steel wool (bought at Home Depot) to knock off the shine or until I got the look that I wanted. Did not use any finish or wax.

Very nice work Mark! The black has nice clean lines, and looks stunning. Is is Ebonite?
Thanks. The black pen is just black acrylic. Ebonite is something I've been wanting to try; just need to cut down on mistakes and redos before taking on ebonite. One day...

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Was poking through pictures!..

These are really cool! I love all 3, but your Darth Vadar pen is really, really a light saber above!

Wonderful work! And a nice simple explanation on the satin finish! (Sometimes get tired of glossy). :wink:

Big

Those are all beautiful and I am about to embarrass myself with a stupid question so please forgive me. The last pen, Jowo 6, Cappucino is my favorite and my wife loved the green one above it because green is her favorite color. All are gorgeous. Are all of them acrylic? And how would they make the blank for the Cappucino or where did you get that? Again, those are really awesome.

Top Bottom