Real Italian Acrylic non-kit pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

I found a rod of Italian Acrylic, yes real acrylic, that I purchased from The Pipe Maker's Emporium which is now affiliated with vermontfreehand.com . The pattern is tiger and was a real joy to turn. The cap/barrel threads are M13x.8 triple lead. The section threads are M10x1 and the nib is a JoWo #6 medium. I had enough to make the section, three times, but it didn't happen. So the section is made from acrylic acetate which is also a nice material to use. Enjoy and comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don italian acrhylic 2 tiger 112020.jpgitalian acrylic 3 112020.jpgitalian acrylic tiger 1 112020_edited-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Super nice, Don !!

Thanks for showing !! . It's nice to get the thread details also.

Sorry you had trouble with the section. . But this pen looks great just as you ended up doing it.

So Don, I gotta ask. What is Italian Acrylic? I almost broke out in a Dean Martin song when I saw the post thinking it was something other than Acrylic. Looks a lot like tortoise shell. But I do like it, good job!!

its_virgil

So Don, I gotta ask. What is Italian Acrylic? I almost broke out in a Dean Martin song when I saw the post thinking it was something other than Acrylic. Looks a lot like tortoise shell. But I do like it, good job!!
Acrylic is often used as a generic term for any and all resins. Italian acrylic is manufactured in Italy or made from an Italian "recipe". Real plexiglass is an acrylic. Real acrylic is not a resin that can be cast without the use of specialized equipment so it is not a home shop resin. The aroma is distinct but not objectionable or the same as polyester resin, urethane resin, epoxies or other resins I have used. Stay tuned. I also found a rod of Lucite. It is next on the chopping block.
Don

EricRN

I found a rod of Italian Acrylic, yes real acrylic, that I purchased from The Pipe Maker's Emporium which is now affiliated with vermontfreehand.com . The pattern is tiger and was a real joy to turn. The cap/barrel threads are M13x.8 triple lead. The section threads are M10x1 and the nib is a JoWo #6 medium. I had enough to make the section, three times, but it didn't happen. So the section is made from acrylic acetate which is also a nice material to use. Enjoy and comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
DonView attachment 291673View attachment 291674View attachment 291675
That's a great looking pen. Vermont Freehand has some great ebonite as well. I haven't tried their acrylic. Looks like I have to. Great to know it is manufactured in Italy. I find the Italian stuff to be a much higher quality than the "acrylic" sold by Woodcraft and other shops. Also helps sell the pens when you can market it as "Italian"!

its_virgil

That's a great looking pen. Vermont Freehand has some great ebonite as well. I haven't tried their acrylic. Looks like I have to. Great to know it is manufactured in Italy. I find the Italian stuff to be a much higher quality than the "acrylic" sold by Woodcraft and other shops. Also helps sell the pens when you can market it as "Italian"!
When I purchased this rod from The Pipe Maker's Emporium it was advertised as Italian acrylic. Exotic Blanks also has some Italian resin according to the website.

Top Bottom