Razor Stand with Counters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from penicillin

penicillin

One of our children asked for a razor stand to hold a standard Mach III razor, but with a built-in shave counter. The blades are supposed to last 15 shaves, hence the counter. The requestor didn't care how the counter was designed, as long as it could count to 15. They even suggested binary as a possible design - four counters representing 1, 2, 4, and 8. My design uses four "ones" counters and three "fives" counters, to yield a range from 0-19.

The project is made from ipe and maple. The ipe wood was very dense and challenging to work. I created a "wide-gap" box joint jig and used a flat-top-grind (FTG) blade on the table saw to create the counter tabs. The predrilled counter tabs were separated using a Japanese hand saw, then shaped with a belt/disc sander. The maple discs were turned on the lathe to match the Forstner-drilled slot. The depth of the hole was chosen so that the razor balance point is 1/4 inch below the top of the hole. The hole is positioned as designed, to keep the razor close to the front edge, away from the counter tabs. The base was cut at an 18 degree angle using a table saw sled, to tilt the razor hole for convenience and to ensure that the counter tabs stayed in their forward position ... but not too much tilt. You don't want "tippy." The density of the ipe helps. The side edges and razor hole were softened with a chamfer bit on a router table. The order of glue up and finishing was tricky. The finish is Tried and True Varnish Oil (2 coats), Tried and True Original (1 coat) and a final coat of Renaissance Wax. The finished piece feels heavy, smooth, and warm.

Photos:
* Finishing stand for counter tabs
* Razor stand
* Razor stand with razor

Not shown:
* Four shallow recesses in the bottom (Forstner bit) to fit 1/2 inch round flat clear bumper pads. The bumper pads serve as feet to keep the piece raised above a wet countertop. The recesses were drilled so that the bumper pads would be confined and less likely to peel off or get "unstuck." The design concept was good, but it was a challenge to clamp the workpiece with a level bottom so I could drill perfect, square, matching 1/32 inch deep holes. The ipe end grain was so hard that the workpiece rotated in the handscrew clamp as I pulled the drill press handle; I had to provide support under the workpiece to deal with the issue. The bumper pads are a perfect match - no wobble or tilt.
* Discarded counter tabs that failed for one reason or another. I made a few extras, just in case, and it was a good idea. :-(

Counter Tab Finishing Stand.JPG Razor Stand.JPG Razor Stand with Razor.JPG

penicillin

The "shave counter" idea came from our child. They do not shave daily, and wanted a way to track shaves. After all, those Mach 3 blades are supposed to last 15 shaves. My spouse and I had many discussions about my design. We talked about a rotating pointer, for example. Designs with 15 individual counters resulted in razor holders that would have been too large or too wide.

When I used a blade, I never counted shaves from a given blade. You could tell when it was time to replace the blade by the feel of shaving with it. These days, I use an electric shaver. Shaves from a blade come out too good for me. I did not realize it, but those close blade shaves were causing skin problems, and the dermatologist recommended switching to electric. Switching to electric solved the skin problems, but now I look scruffier, especially at the end of the day. I miss that super-smooth, baby-soft skin that you have after a good shave with a blade. In the big picture, it wasn't much to give up.

KMCloonan

That's really cool and innovative!

I unfortunately don't count uses. I drag the razor across my face until it starts hurting, at which time I change blades, but I seriously doubt they last for 15 shaves. More like 6 or 7.

Top Bottom