Random Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hooked

hooked

I wanted to give a big thank you to the IAP library. What a great and invaluable resource to have here! I have recently been getting interested in segmenting. I haven't done anything special, but an introduction to making good cuts for segmenting. I looked through the library at so many unique designs and ideas that I am not ready to tackle yet. I did find an article written by Wood128 and kronewi on random segmented pen blanks that looked interesting and somewhat good for a beginner, so I gave it a shot. Full credit goes to contributors making these excellent guides in the library. These blanks came out so cool I wanted to make sure other beginners know that resources like this are available. Make sure to check out the library article to get the full instructions.

https://www.penturners.org/resources/random-segmented-pen-blank.52/

I started with a four-pack of starter 2x2x12 turning stock that I had lying around. I believe it had maple, padauk, cherry, and a basic dark wood. I also added in some black and white ebony that I had. Not a lot of thought went into wood selection since this was an experiment. I sliced them up into random sized 6" strips roughly ¼ - ½" wide and 1" high to make a 6x6 square. I put a sheet of veneer between each slice. Epoxied it all together and ran it through a sander. Sliced the block into sections on the diagonal:
step1.png

I rotated the pieces as the article suggested and cut some mango and walnut to fill in the diagonal cuts. I added a layer of veneer on each side and epoxied:
step2.png

step3.png

I took the block and sketched out my blanks to cut:
step4.png

As you can see, I planned on six blanks, but I made a mistake on my first cut, so I ended up with 5. Once cut up, I ran then through the sander to clean up the epoxy.
step5.png

step6.png

Once I turned them, I was amazed at the result. This is definitely a keeper for me. I plan on doing this design a lot more and picking out some interesting wood combinations.
pen1.jpg

pen2.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It is an excellent pen. Very nice plug for the library and that tutorial as well. Happy travels on the path of segmenting.

jttheclockman

Glad you were able to find some info that helped you. It is nice that you plug the library as was said because it was members like yourself from the many years this site has been here have shared this info. There is a ton of articles and info and is well maintained by Wayne and I have said this many times here. A person who I think just does not get enough credit for the hard work he does maintaining all that stuff.

Now with that said nice pen and I am sure what you noticed with what you just did with those cuts is open many different designs with just doing that pattern. This is how chevrons are made. I am sure you can see it. Add a spacer block between the cuts and the list goes on. Also it is the start of the so called Gisi cuts. All from that simple layout and cutting of the pattern you glued up. Good luck as you continue down the road of segmenting.

wood128

Good job Mark . I like your results. It has been a few years since that tutorial was written. I am sure you will get more ideas of your own to continue with segmenting. Try two contrasting woods with veneer and maybe the same wood with a contrasting veneer. Try thinner pieces. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Kcimdrib

What a wonderful array of wood put together with precision and the end product reflects you imagination. Job well done.

hooked

Thank you for the very nice comments all! I must say that I was very proud of how well this came out. I did learn a few basic things regarding segmenting:

1) Double sided tape is my new best friend.

2) Every last piece of wax needs to be removed from padauk or any wood blanks that have a wax coating. I did have some separation and quickly learned that I wasn't meticulous enough in sanding off the wax coating Rockler puts on their Padauk.

3) As John and Joe mentioned, this basic "formula" opens many paths to do more detailed designs and wood/material combinations. It was a real "light bulb" moment for me.

4) Take it really slow when drilling these blanks.

5) Pen photography is a lot harder than it seems. Now it's time to hit the library articles on improving photography. ;)

Kcimdrib

Just like you I like laminating but I will now try some of techniques mentioned in the article on the web.. Thanks for showing your pen I'll get cutting and glueing.
I have posted a few of my humble efforts.

sorcerertd

Beautiful and inspiring! Though I don't have the jigs and tools set up for precise and consistent enough enough cuts yet, I'm pretty sure I can do random. I love the talent and ideas around here!

TDahl

Wow. Great pen and very good tutorial. It's posts like this that make everyone a little better at what we love to do.

Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom