Rams horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

Three different pens ( Streamline, Etesia and Headwind ) taken from different parts of a ram's horn.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Wow, those are beautiful. Beautiful pens, beautiful material! I just started turning antler, my first horn-type material, last weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but I really like the antler. Wonderful natural material, and it polishes so well. Antler has an almost crystalline look. The ram's horn here looks amazing! Slightly translucent and more iridescent than the antler. It almost looks like it has a grain. I'm becoming a real fan of these natural materials...antler, horn, etc.

keithbyrd

Very nice Alan - I love the horn- there are some nice colors and patterns in those - very nice pens!
when I made mine I struggled with what kit to use _ something that exotic, hard to come by and expensive - what kit do you match it to Was the big question. I need up with the Statesman and Jr statesman.

Alan Morrison

Wow, those are beautiful. Beautiful pens, beautiful material! I just started turning antler, my first horn-type material, last weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but I really like the antler. Wonderful natural material, and it polishes so well. Antler has an almost crystalline look. The ram's horn here looks amazing! Slightly translucent and more iridescent than the antler. It almost looks like it has a grain. I'm becoming a real fan of these natural materials...antler, horn, etc.
Thanks for your comments, Jon.
As you probably know horn isn't solid like an antler so getting sufficient material for blanks can be difficult with a lot of horns.
When I first got these horns ( which were offcuts from a local man who makes shepherds crooks ) I boiled one an put it in a vice to straighten it.
I should have left it for a few months but didnt and the pen had a couple of cracke in it shortly after.
The horn I used for the pens above had been in the workshop for 2 years and I got enough material cutting with a bandsaw without having to boil it. Hopefully these pens wont crack.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Nice work! They look great. Judging from the ram's horn in the pic, there must have been a thicker portion of it you used. I'm not familiar with using antler or horn yet.
Thanks Todd.
Check my reply to jrista above.
If you can source some horn or antler you should give them a go. Dust protection required.
Horn is not so easy to turn until you get it round and after that it's no problem.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Very nice Alan. And I like your avatar! đź‘Ť
Thanks Mark. I had to PM Jeff to find out how to download the avatar, so he pointed me in the right direction. It was easy enough, but I just couldnt find the place to do it.
Hope all is well with you and yours.
Enjoy Christmas.
Alan

Top Bottom