Raising the perception

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

So, I've been round a few fairs/shows etc and have noticed as many of you the variation in the price of what people attribute to the same pen/kit. Reactions vary from "how much" to "how can they possibly do it that cheap without making a loss". I'm not trying to start a conversation here or ask people what they think anything is worth I'm just giving background information to my latest move.

I've been thinking of ways to increase the perceived value of my pens - to justify why I charge for them what I do over and above the obvious fit and finish. To this end I present my latest steps.

1. Nice piece of packaging. I've sourced a nice box at a very good price but after the ones I have have gone there are no more as these were surplus on a custom order I believe. I may be having to source a different one in a few months.

2. A name and logo.

3. How to incorporate the logo into my pens.

So I give you Wolf Pens.

I have had a Stainless Steel plaque etched which goes onto the outer of the box.

I have also had a small plaque etched that I can incorporate into the pen itself. Below are the first results. A Vertex and a Shock Absorber pen with homemade Carbonfibre blanks with the plaque cast into the blank.

In hindsight I should have had it done slightly wider and incorporated a hole at each end so I can screw it to wooden blanks, blanks that I don't cast myself and to my Steampunk creations. That will probably be done in the near future.

Thanks for looking, hope you all like them.

Simon

plano_harry

Love the box and what you have done with the logo plate. It does add a high-end "name" look. How much cost does the etched box plate and logo plate add?

Might be enough interest in the box design to swing a group buy if you can get more.

Very professional look!

Harry

Si90

Hi Harry

Thanks for the kind words, glad that in your eyes I have had some success. The plates cost £95 ($145 ish) delivered. For that I got 70 of the small one and 60 of the large one so they add about £1.50 if I use both on a pen. They charge a one of cost of £25 for origination (making the film from your Artwork for the etching process) and then per A4 size sheet of your metal of choice ie brass, stainless etc. From memory, A4 Stainless is about £25-£30. I think they did the small ones on a off cut as it came as a long thin piece. They keep your design so you won't have the origination cost to pay when you want more to be made. They only keep it for 5 years if you don't have any repeat orders. After that you would have to pay for origination again. The process is great as you can half etch (like my plates) both front and back and full etch where you can punch a hole right through and have any shape at no extra cost.

Shop around for prices. The first quote I got for 50 off each was £684 - over $1000. Have to thank my wifes persistence on that one.

As regards the box. Not sure on that one. The person I got them from had bought them as left overs from a shop or something. He was going to do a similar thing to me but never got round to using them. It may be possible to get someone who could copy it but you would be looking at having to have 2000 to 5000 made. You could then get the unit cost to be pennies. From my research buying from a "Pen Box Retailer" I have seen much simpler boxes (no press stud closure etc) for over £3 per unit with a minimum order of 200. I paid £1.25 each for these.

plano_harry

I think the enhanced professionalism of the etched plate in both applications is worth the small extra cost. I thought it would be more. Your wife got a good deal. Friends have suggested that I needed to mark or label my work in some fashion.

Not sure about the plate on wood though. Engraved centerband or custom finial would be cool if it could be done at the right price.

Yes, the differentiator for the box is the snap closure. I use a simple black velvet box with a satin liner. VistaPrint will print a business card on an adhesive satin-like material that I stick inside the lid. It fits perfectly and looks custom, but it isn't etched metal :)

Top Bottom