Rainbow trout pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Suskmorrison

Suskmorrison

I just started turning pens. Give me your thoughts on the quality and information to sell my pens? Any suggestions are appreciated. Also anyone that can suggest photo suggestions would be helpful.
This is a magnetic vertex pen turned with a rainbow trout poxy.

Attachments

• 20230429_133556.jpg
    20230429_133556.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 140

SteveJ

I don't sell pens, so can't help there!

What is a poxy?

For pictures, there are some great tutorials in the library, but for starters you should lose the background elements.

That appears to be a well turned pen. Good luck selling and welcome to the bottomless ink well!

sorcerertd

That's a pretty cool pen. I can see the blank is aptly named. I assume poxy = epoxy resin? As for selling, you will get a ton of different thoughts, but you'll have to consider your target customer.

As for photos, that is challenging. As Steve said, lose the distractions in the background. If you plan to sell online, take a look around at Etsy and see what looks appealing to you as a potential buyer. Once you have an idea what you like, you can work on the lighting and color balancing. I will also refer you to the resource library for that, but there is also a forum dedicated just to photography. Ultimately, you will need to take a LOT of pictures to get a feel for what works best for you. I would love to see this pen at a couple other angles.

jttheclockman

Ken welcome to the site. Glad you found us. First you say you just started making pens so I suggest hold off on the selling stuff and just give what you are making away if you want to keep doing this and make some progress with your quality of fit and finish. get comments from those people and see if what you are doing is working. We have no idea what skillset you have or how well you turn pens No one here can give an assessment on one pen that we really can not see well. Yes it looks nice. As mentioned start with losing the background. Do not show your pen while holding them in your hand. use a light background and play with the lighting. Take a bunch of photos and see for yourself what looks good and work from that. We have a show off your pen forum here. look through that and see how some people are presenting their work for forum pages. Showing pens here should be the same as if you were planning on a a web site or one of the consumer buyer forums such as Etsy. Sellin is a whole topic that i suggest you do some research here of past threads on the subject and pick through them to ask specific questions. The old adage location location location plays big in sales of pens. That includes what sells, who is buying type of customers you are targeting, type of kits you want to build, how to display well, remember this is your hobby and not your customers. You must be dedicated in what you make and the effort you put into it. Inventory will be needed if you want to do shows. I suggest before picking a show to visit that show and get a feel for it and maybe talk to other crafters and see how the traffic is, is there other pen turners, competing with other pen turners can prove to be troublesome unless you are selling a product that is different and or above quality of competitors. Just way too much info is needed to be talked about and you need to do some of the work for us to help. Those questions are way too broad to help.

Top Bottom