Rainbow Herringbone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Angela S

Angela S

This is my first attempt at a rainbow herringbone. Not really happy with the results. At a quick glass it is cool, but upon any inspection you can see the many flaws in the herringbone. C&C always appreciated.
D9E748C9-4860-4D97-869D-816DEE9E19DA.jpeg
2946A9A8-7301-4B3A-8A98-1E0F0BB07451.jpeg
2A82EC39-412A-484C-8B0B-FFD802227C5D.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the colors Angela. Way cool.

Just a thought for you to consider. You can get the colored veneers to totally surround the segments if you desire. My dimensions are not the same, but I think you'll understand the process. Basically you glue-up one side, or both with the colored veneer. The you cut the segments and glue-up the other sides. I then alternated the segments, one with the veneers, on without. You would need to play with the color combinations and the sides that are needing the veneers, but it's very doable.

Well done in any case. I love what you are doing.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 196

KenB259

I think it looks pretty good. I have made a few herringbone designs but to be honest, I didn't enjoy the process. I think it is very true that we are our own worse critic. That's how we get better though.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Angela, I like that rainbow herringbone idea. . Thanks for posting your resulting pen !!!

What is the main wood in that pen, please ?

I think what you have done is more difficult to do that it would seem at first. . I can't really elaborate what I mean.
The lower barrel is perfect. . The cap (with the herringbone) seems discontinuous, in a way, but that seems to be an intrinsic aspect of the design unless you take specific measures to overcome it. . I think it can be overcome, but it might be a bit tricky.

At first I thought that Mark (above) had the solution, but he might have chosen the wrong set of photographs to illustrate his point (which is not altogether clear to me). . But I think he probably knows what he is talking about because he has achieved some stunning results with that kind of very fine segmenting work. . I think we should press him to have another go at explaining .... :) ;) !!!

I think things would look better if there was continuity to the same color veneer on both sides of "the meeting point" if you know what I mean.
But exactly how you achieve that, I do not presently know.

One other thing relates to the grain structure of the main wood ... and that's why I asked you about what would you used.
I have the feeling that with a finer grained main wood the result would look better. . As it is, I think that the coarse grain detracts from the herringbone effect.

Overall, I think you have done an excellent job of cutting and gluing to achieve the herringbone effect, and I hope you will attempt and show some further refinements of this idea.

Thanks for showing, and I really would like to know what wood you used, please.

Angela S

Angela, I like that rainbow herringbone idea. . Thanks for posting your resulting pen !!!

What is the main wood in that pen, please ?

I think what you have done is more difficult to do that it would seem at first. . I can't really elaborate what I mean.
The lower barrel is perfect. . The cap (with the herringbone) seems discontinuous, in a way, but that seems to be an intrinsic aspect of the design unless you take specific measures to overcome it. . I think it can be overcome, but it might be a bit tricky.

At first I thought that Mark (above) had the solution, but he might have chosen the wrong set of photographs to illustrate his point (which is not altogether clear to me). . But I think he probably knows what he is talking about because he has achieved some stunning results with that kind of very fine segmenting work. . I think we should press him to have another go at explaining .... :) ;) !!!

I think things would look better if there was continuity to the same color veneer on both sides of "the meeting point" if you know what I mean.
But exactly how you achieve that, I do not presently know.

One other thing relates to the grain structure of the main wood ... and that's why I asked you about what would you used.
I have the feeling that with a finer grained main wood the result would look better. . As it is, I think that the coarse grain detracts from the herringbone effect.

Overall, I think you have done an excellent job of cutting and gluing to achieve the herringbone effect, and I hope you will attempt and show some further refinements of this idea.

Thanks for showing, and I really would like to know what wood you used, please.

Unfortunately, the blanks that is used came unlabeled from one of the boxes that Mark is selling for IAP. So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As for the herringbone I kept going back and forth on whether the colors should touch in the middle. I might try touching next time.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Unfortunately, the blanks that is used came unlabeled from one of the boxes that Mark is selling for IAP. So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As for the herringbone I kept going back and forth on whether the colors should touch in the middle. I might try touching next time.

I'll speculate Walnut.

magpens

Thanks, Angela and Mark, for the wood "identification".
Some walnut can have fairly open grain with "pores" so we will go with that as a likely choice for the "main" wood.

Angela, am looking forward to seeing your next attempt. . I am quite amazed that you have advanced in your pen-making so rapidly.
I have not attempted a herringbone yet, and I have been doing pens for 9 years. . Your work is an inspiration, and I might try one soon.

BTW ... how do you make that "symbol" for shrugging your shoulders ( or, I don't know). . I am going to try on the next line but don't expect I will get it right ....
............................. ¯\_ (")) _/¯ ..... nope, can't find all the "characters" that you used. . I'd find it useful to know how, please.

Edit: I got a couple of them (for the upraised hands) ... LOL

Last edited:

Angela S

Thanks, Angela and Mark, for the wood "identification".
Some walnut can have fairly open grain with "pores" so we will go with that as a likely choice for the "main" wood.

Angela, am looking forward to seeing your next attempt. . I am quite amazed that you have advanced in your pen-making so rapidly.
I have not attempted a herringbone yet, and I have been doing pens for 9 years. . Your work is an inspiration, and I might try one soon.

BTW ... how do you make that "symbol" for shrugging your shoulders ( or, I don't know). . I am going to try on the next line but don't expect I will get it right ....
............................. ¯\_ (")) _/¯ ..... nope, can't find all the "characters" that you used. . I'd find it useful to know how, please.

Edit: I got a couple of them (for the upraised hands) ... LOL

Thanks. You should try the herringbone it is challenging, but kinda fun.

As for the shrug, I actually don't know where all the symbols are. I saw it somewhere copied it and saved it as a keyword short cut on my phone. So, now when I type out the word "shrug" it auto corrects to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

SteveJ

I keep looking at this and now will have to try my hand at a herringbone next. Of course I've got two more designs in the works which will come first. Thank you again for showing how.

Top Bottom