Rain, rain, go away....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I reckon if the UK gets any more rain, then our little island will just get washed away into the sea....:frown:
The near constant rain since the beginning of the year plus the exceptionally high tides have caused havoc in loads of places.

As you guys would say in USA......'Enough Already !!!!

This link tries to explain it, but it doesn't help.

UK Flooding and the Science of Climate Change | ClimateState

Oh well......stiff upper lip and all that....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• somerset.jpg
    somerset.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 433
  • UK floods.jpg
    UK floods.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 422
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Another day, another place...

Skiprat,

Greetings to you from Icy, snowy, suburban Atlanta, GA.

We're having an ice storm, mixed with snow and sleet. Approximately a 24 hour event. Began pre dawn hours today. So far we have power.
Authorities and TV & radio stations urging everyone to remain at home.

GA Power and other power companies are well prepared having ordered in help from outside the immediate area. They were here yesterday in anticipation.

Here's a link to local TV station wsbtv.com/

Charlie

jimjam66

Steven, have you been directly affected? We've been fortunate so far, although the ground is waterlogged (not helped by the habit developers have of 'landscaping' modern gardens with the clay they dig out for the foundations!) and one or two closes on low-lying land have been evacuated due to the sewers vomiting out the contents of the neighbourhood toilets ...

Friends have had their aged parents move in (indefinitely) because Chertsey in Surrey is busy disappearing into a very large, very deep puddle. None of this helped by the very public spat the government is having with the Environment Agency. Enough already! Just start getting sandbags and dirty water pumps to where they are needed!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Steven, have you been directly affected? We've been fortunate so far, although the ground is waterlogged (not helped by the habit developers have of 'landscaping' modern gardens with the clay they dig out for the foundations!) and one or two closes on low-lying land have been evacuated due to the sewers vomiting out the contents of the neighbourhood toilets ...

Friends have had their aged parents move in (indefinitely) because Chertsey in Surrey is busy disappearing into a very large, very deep puddle. None of this helped by the very public spat the government is having with the Environment Agency. Enough already! Just start getting sandbags and dirty water pumps to where they are needed!

No Dave, we live on the side of a hill in Wales and are fine. I just need to take detours to get to places for work. My brother rents a house on farm in Oxfordshire which is swamped though. He reckons it would need to raise about 3 more feet till it affected him. Unlikely.

Yep, I agree completely about our bickering idiots in power...pathetic!!:rolleyes:

I hate London with a passion and often say they should use the M25 as a foundation to build a fifty foot high wall like the old Kurt Russell film, Escape from New York. Only stipulation is that they keep the government inside !!:wink:

PenMan1

Skip:
As you know, I have friends in Welshpool, Wales. For the first time in my memory at least, our weather here in Eatonton is WORSE than the weather in Welshpool. It's only dreary and wet there. It's dreary and FROZEN here.

We refer to Eatonton as 9 miles South of Hell's Gulley. I rarely gets cold here. Currently it's 29 degrees and two inches of ice on the ground. It's 37 and wet in Welshpool, but it has BEEN 37 and WET there for the past 60 days!

I don't see how y'all do it! Nothing will move here for 3 or 4 days then it'll be 70 and dry. I don't thing I could stand that cold and rain for months on end.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Aaah Andy, but that's where the clever Brit goes and hides in his shed to get away from SWMBO. And while he's in there, he invents stuff and makes cool pens too.
I mean, do you think that Simon ( that crazy Steampunk guy ) would have made those cool pens if the sun was shining? :biggrin: Nah !! He'd be taking the dog for a walk via the pub...:tongue:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Seamus, you are welcome to it. :wink:
I'm lead to believe that all Texans are oil barons, therefore you guys can afford to come and fetch it. :tongue:
In fact I reckon it was supposed to be yours in the first place and the crazy jet stream ( that I also reckon you guys are messin' with..:mad: ) somehow got diverted and dumped it all on us!!:biggrin:

Curly

skiprat will soon be obliged to change his name to muskrat. :wink:

We were supposed to have 25 to 30 mm of rain last night. No biggy. Now when you have 100 mm in a night then you know it was raining. :rain: :umbrella:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, I agree !!! It's all the haggis sha.. bashers up in the Highlands!! :tongue:
That's why they will be voting for independance this year. :)

I mean... look at the state of London today !!:eek:

Attachments

• London Flooded.png
    London Flooded.png
    641.2 KB · Views: 312

Twissy

John, I agree !!! It's all the haggis sha.. bashers up in the Highlands!! :tongue:
That's why they will be voting for independance this year. :)

I mean... look at the state of London today !!:eek:

I always fancied a trip to Venice.....not so far to go now :)

The haggis sha.....bashers may not need independance Steve, we may be knocking on the door of Hadrian asking them to take us in :eek:

Rain, rain go away

I reckon if the UK gets any more rain, then our little island will just get washed away into the sea....:frown:
The near constant rain since the beginning of the year plus the exceptionally high tides have caused havoc in loads of places.

As you guys would say in USA......'Enough Already !!!!

This link tries to explain it, but it doesn't help.

UK Flooding and the Science of Climate Change | ClimateState

Oh well......stiff upper lip and all that....:rolleyes:
Please sent it my way.

tbroye

You could always send it back out west skipping in East Coast and South, we need the rain and snow desperately. The storm last weekend helped but we need a lot more and are running out of time. They say we need 5 or 6 of them to really help get over this drought. The snow pack is what is needed and it rained up at 7000ft so there is no a lot of snow pack. We had the Pineapple express last weekend the storm came from out by Hawaii so it was a warm storm with plenty of water but cold enough for a lot of snow. My Wife has a pen pal in Somerset and hasn't heard from her in a few week, she will try to contact her and she how she is doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom