Quintet of Long Boys (Berea kit)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

Dan Masshardt recently posted a helpful Youtube video of constructing a Long Boy pen kit from Berea (also called a Script from Woodcraft).

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f96/long-boy-click-pen-video-review-143478/

I posted some comments about my experiences with this kit in Dan's thread.

Dan said he would like to see a pic, so here is a pic of 5 of these pens I made.

You will notice that I made them as single barrel pens (tube length = 4.00"), by replacing the two brass tubes with a single tube. . I really like this modification. . Drilling the long hole is the only slight complication but I have done the drilling on my lathe by careful centering and going in from both ends. I turn the whole blank round, leaving it oversize, then drill and glue in the tube, and finally reduce the diameter to the required size.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I really like what you did with the kit - it really works well with your modification.

I may have to "copy" your idea (if OK?). :biggrin:
Thanks for showing.
Gordon

lhowell

did you just measure the two tubes or do you have to measure the ring with it to get the proper length for a single barrel tube on this pen? They look great either way (double or single tube)!

magpens

did you just measure the two tubes or do you have to measure the ring with it to get the proper length for a single barrel tube on this pen? They look great either way (double or single tube)!

Thanks. You have to include a portion of the center ring as detailed below

Measure (use calipers) the length of each of the 2 tubes, and add the thickness of the fat portion of the center coupling ring:

1.692" + 2.244" + 0.066" = 4.002" (4.000" is close enough although I make it a bit longer ... I like minimal refill protrusion)

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love this modification. The extra length will allow some creative options!

Thanks for sharing the process.

And the pens look great :)!

Top Bottom