Quick Tip For Finishing Small Odd Sized

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

I was asked to make a Guitar Pick box/holder... small, in the shape of a guitar about the size of a deck of cards. Well, I did that with the scroll saw, but now how do I finish it? Here is a quick easy way to lift your project up with a fit its size. Thin MDF, Drill some holes and use golf tees to fit that project. Really cheap.

Attachments

• Spray holder 1.jpg
    Spray holder 1.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 195
  • spray holder 2.jpg
    spray holder 2.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

My goodness I have a ton of these around and all I do is take scraps of wood and drive sheetrock screws through them. The points are so sharp you get no noticeable finish failures on back side. I do alot of scrollsaw work and need to finish pieces by dipping and that is a good way to let dry.

PreacherJon

What I liked about the golf tees, is they can come out really quick, so not a lot of space is taken up. And I don't many small projects anymore like I use to... Have not scrolled a full project in some time... so, this was quick and simple.

My goodness I have a ton of these around and all I do is take scraps of wood and drive sheetrock screws through them. The points are so sharp you get no noticeable finish failures on back side. I do alot of scrollsaw work and need to finish pieces by dipping and that is a good way to let dry.
Also use the dry wall screws... screwed through small blocks of wood and use them as paint points for my bowls and other turnings... for my pepper mills, I have a piece of MDF with dowels fitted that will accept the mill bodies while the finish is drying... same with my bottle s toppers.
Never thought about the golf tees...
One of the wood turning catalogs has plastic triangles that they sell as paint points, drywall screws are much cheaper and we always have pieces of scrap wood laying about.

jttheclockman

Chuck you are right, many times we come up with crude ways to hold things as they dry. I at times take a cardboard box and put holes in it for dowels that I use to support the small turned birdhouses I make. I spray lacquer them and then put them together and found this an easy way to do that.

Jolly Red

I made several of those by gluing the tees onto small scraps. I can see where putting them in holes through the wood might work better. Sometimes the tees will come loose, they have some sort of finish on them and don't glue well. Thanks for the tip.
Tom

PreacherJon

I made several of those by gluing the tees onto small scraps. I can see where putting them in holes through the wood might work better. Sometimes the tees will come loose, they have some sort of finish on them and don't glue well. Thanks for the tip.
Tom
Thanks... there are all kinds of ways of making these little stands. I don't have a lot of room to keep these around with them pointing out. After I'm done, I remove the tees, keep the little mdf boards flat and out of the way.

Top Bottom