Quick Survey about Hybrid Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hmmmm ... in some other thread there is discussion about names.

Is your last name really what you state ? . It is always nice to know exactly who you are buying from ... and since you are very new here ...

BTW ... I have a reputation ... possibly undeserved ... for buying a lot of blanks ... :rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes: !! .. Even from guys in Texas!!!

I also like to support college students ... but no promises !

Last edited:
Your post had me a little confused at first, but I now see that it is required for these forums. Woodpecker isn't my last name, but a nickname that I got from my friends for being so obsessed with wood. I just updated my profile.

Thank you for letting me know and for completing my survey.

edicehouse

In my opinion too many "hybrid" blanks are starting to have too little wood. If the images are someones I am not making fun or discrediting your blanks. I am just stating my opinion. I think one of the attached photos show my preference to a wood to resin ratio and the other is a very small amount of wood, with too much resin.

Attachments

• too much resin.jpg
    too much resin.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 334
  • solid.jpg
    solid.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 351

magpens

I assume that the second pic shows your preferred wood-to-resin ratio.

In my opinion, there is too MUCH wood ... but that's just my opinion.

I agree that the blanks in first pic have too little wood, but I also don't like the sharp demarcation between the wood and resin portions .

FWIW, hybrid blanks used to be called "worthless wood" ... a term we don't see so much now.

MRDucks2

I would consider the first photo to be resin blanks with a little wood and the second photo to be wood blanks with some resin fill.

Can't think of where I would prefer the the first option. I have seen some nice pens with the second option but would consider neither to be my personal expectation of what I would look for in a Hybrid Blank.

The best pens I have seen on IAP to my taste, made with Hybrid Blanks seem to have close to a 50/50 mix, maybe 2/3 wood 1/3 resin, though in a variety of combinations ie. Wood mostly to one side or one end, wood both ends resin middle or wood middle resin both ends.

As I play with making hybrid blanks, I am striving to duplicate those I see most often from Jim Mahan (Jimm1) here on IAP. I highly admire his blanks, both as cast and on finished pens.

Like Mal, I prefer a more natural or flowing interface vs an abrupt edge on the wood. BUT, this is just my opinion. Others may differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Talltim

I like the 50-50 ratio Spread Throughout the pen. In the first picture it would be possible to turn pens with zero wood represented. The second lot is better but for me the sweet point lies somewhere in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom