Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

When I put a new pen on Show Off Your Pens do I need to start a new thread every time or just continue on the existing thread?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Ummmmm .... I would say that you should start a new thread for every new pen .

If you don't do that, we might not take much notice of a thread which we think is "old".

Curly

If you start a new thread more people will look at it. If an old thread comes up with something added, unless I'm following it because I commented, I won't look anymore. Basically what ^ said.

Kcimdrib

Thank you I will take your advice just didn't know what was best. I really enjoy being involved with the IAP and every one seems helpful. Living in the UK you sort of feel cut off and this makes me feel like I am part of a like minded group of people.

magpens

Thank you I will take your advice just didn't know what was best. I really enjoy being involved with the IAP and every one seems helpful. Living in the UK you sort of feel cut off and this makes me feel like I am part of a like minded group of people.

@Kcimdrib

Just want you to know that your presence here on IAP is valued and that your contributions are important ..... don't want to miss any !! :D

The fact that you are in UK is an advantage in some ways because you have more ready access to some excellent kits than the rest of us do.
It may be that your experiences include some of those kits and other products. . Your sharing what you know about those would be valued.

And on this topic I have been meaning to start a separate thread but foreshadowing that here and now can do no harm. . I am thinking of the large number of "guests" to the IAP website compared to the number of members presently logged in. . At any time, if you look on the home page on the right hand side, you can view those numbers. . It is often the case that the number of guests is 200 or more while the number of members is around 15 or less. . I have often wondered how we can encourage more of the guests to become members. . If that were to take place, we would all benefit.

It is not just a case of "the more the merrier". . Every active participant has something to offer everyone else. . I know how much that I benefit from the cordial exchanges of information that take place every day on IAP. . And it is always a "two way street". . When you reach out to others in any way you always benefit yourself. . That is even true if all you do for starters is just show your own work. . Someone is bound to comment in an encouraging and helpful way. . These experiences compound and you learn better and faster.

Thank you for your participation, Michael. . It is great to have you here on IAP !! .
You have been a member for only about 3 months and your presence has been of considerable value already !! :D:D . I enjoy your threads and posts.

Kcimdrib

Well thank you for your comments and what you have said makes sense.
I think in the UK Woodturners make pens as a sideline when there main interest is producing Bowls , Vases , Boxs etc.
I must admit I fall into that category, its only since I joined the IAP I have taken it more seriously and now when I make a Pen I can share it with others.
I do it for a hobby and often I make pens for friends and the others get put away in a dark place that is until I joined the IAP.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Well thank you for your comments and what you have said makes sense.
I think in the UK Woodturners make pens as a sideline when there main interest is producing Bowls , Vases , Boxs etc.
I must admit I fall into that category, its only since I joined the IAP I have taken it more seriously and now when I make a Pen I can share it with others.
I do it for a hobby and often I make pens for friends and the others get put away in a dark place that is until I joined the IAP.
I lived overseas from the US for 25+ years (in Japan) and there wasn't much to be had in pen turning hardware (lathe and related products) with the exception of wood. And they had wood of all kinds, and exotic woods too. But there was the distance of the plethora of USA products. I learned to compensate and at times use alternate products.

The way this forum has been set up, it caters to those around the world very well. The UK has provided some great skilled people on this forum and I am still trying to copy pens similar to a few from the UK that was posted here 10 - 12 years ago.

Often it is those who have not had on-hand mentoring or training who discover new ways to do something or new ways to compensate for lack of specific material - these are often the ones to influence others the most.

Thanks for joining in!

jttheclockman

I will second all that has been said. We encourage members from around the world to share their experiences and seeing some kits that do not make it here is a plus. Ideas are born all over the world and sharing is a universal part of this site. It is in the name of the site "INTERNATIONAL Association of Penturners"

To Mals point, I think Jeff discussed this before and some of the guests are members but just never signed in. Not everyone keeps logged in everytime they visit. Not sure why you wouldn't but it does happen. Then I think he said something about Bots. Not a computer guy.

Kcimdrib

I agree with all these comments but when I look at who is using the site the majority are based in America. And nothing wrong with that after all I think you started the IAP.
For me its good to see what you guys produce, you have me thinking outside the box when it comes to ideas. Long may it continue.

Top Bottom