Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mjmeldrum

I have had a few pens where the writing tip of the ink refill just barely protrudes beyond the pen tip. Thankfully the vast majority of my pens turn out just great. To me, the problematic ones are non giftable. I don't know what to do to remedy the problem. Any help from my fellow pen turners would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

Take the pen apart if you can and shorten the blank just a little bit. Most likely didn't cut the blank short enough. (to the length of the brass tubes)

KLJ

If it is a two piece like slimline usually the line or indention that is just a little past the brass part is about right, I usually press the transmission in part way, then put the refill in and see where it is at, then you can press the transmission in to where it will be just right, but be sure to take the refill back out before you press it again.

mjmeldrum

If it is a two piece like slimline usually the line or indention that is just a little past the brass part is about right, I usually press the transmission in part way, then put the refill in and see where it is at, then you can press the transmission in to where it will be just right, but be sure to take the refill back out before you press it again.

I recently started doing that. I'll have to go back and check to see if that may be the issue. Thank you.

TonyL

I have used the pen disassembly tool and shorten barrel or if that is not an option, add, and carefully glue a small piece of guitar pic material inside the Parker style transmission (those I give as gift pens).

Hutch9022

I've had issues with Woodcrafts cigar style pens doing that. I noticed inside the transmission there is a piece of plastic that tends to fall down. I use the ink refill to push that piece back in place while turning the transmission. Seems to work then.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

thewishman

Michael, pens with a Cross refill are easy to adjust. Just take out the refill and press the transmission a bit deeper. I usually press the tranny in deeper than I like, then the customer can screw the refill in or out depending on their preferences. The refill doesn't care how far it is screwed in and there is nothing in the top of the pen that touches it.

nib2.jpg

nib1.jpg

greenacres2

I'll echo Chris' comment--Cross style transmissions are easy to adjust. Adding that they are easy to adjust to make the ink come out farther, but once you take the ink out too far it gets trickier!!
earl

Woodchipper

When I make a pen, I carefully insert the transmission a bit at a time. Press-insert refill-press- insert refill until it is in the proper position. I found that the instructions for a Slimline have the transmission inserted a bit short of what is needed.

Rick_G

I have a piece of wood cut to the length of the transmission plus lower barrel and nib. I just hold it along side the pen as I press in the transmission when the wood and pen section are the same length I'm done. Occasionally you run into a cross style refill that is slightly longer or shorter, in that case I just swap it for another refill. This method works for any of the 7mm pens using the slim style transmission including my bullet pens.

Paul in OKC

I have a piece of wood cut to the length of the transmission plus lower barrel and nib. I just hold it along side the pen as I press in the transmission when the wood and pen section are the same length I'm done. Occasionally you run into a cross style refill that is slightly longer or shorter, in that case I just swap it for another refill. This method works for any of the 7mm pens using the slim style transmission including my bullet pens.

I have done this as well. A few years ago I made a block from a 1x1 with a notch in it and cut it to length for the 7mm pens. Saves a lot of guessing.

greenacres2

Well...my light switch just came on!!! On Cross-style pens, the length of the refill governs where the transmission needs to be in relation to the nib. Therefore--regardless the length of the barrel--the top of the transmission almost always need to be at the same distance from the end of the nib. (or pretty close) If that thinking is right, the spacing block could be used across the whole range of 7 mm pens pretty much. I'd read about using a block, but never wanted to make a separate one for each type of kit. So...maybe I don't have to make but one??

Am I finally catching on?? If so, thanks to Rick and Paul for saving me 3 or 4 minutes on every slim, trim, comfort, duchess, diva, foreman, and whatever the heck else I make in the 7 mm class!!

Admittedly slow,
earl

Terredax

Banned
Just a thought... why not make a sleeve that fits over the transmission, and the length required to get the tip to extend to the proper length. It would rest against the blank, and prevent the transmission from being pressed too far or too little. The transmission could always be pressed a bit more if necessary.

Rick_G

Well...my light switch just came on!!! On Cross-style pens, the length of the refill governs where the transmission needs to be in relation to the nib. Therefore--regardless the length of the barrel--the top of the transmission almost always need to be at the same distance from the end of the nib. (or pretty close) If that thinking is right, the spacing block could be used across the whole range of 7 mm pens pretty much. I'd read about using a block, but never wanted to make a separate one for each type of kit. So...maybe I don't have to make but one??

Am I finally catching on?? If so, thanks to Rick and Paul for saving me 3 or 4 minutes on every slim, trim, comfort, duchess, diva, foreman, and whatever the heck else I make in the 7 mm class!!

Admittedly slow,
earl

You got it Earl, the one spacing block could be used for all the 7mm pens.

Rick_G

Just a thought... why not make a sleeve that fits over the transmission, and the length required to get the tip to extend to the proper length. It would rest against the blank, and prevent the transmission from being pressed too far or too little. The transmission could always be pressed a bit more if necessary.

That distance could change depending on what pen you are making, The transmission could be inserted to a different depth depending on what pen you are making, slim, 7mm euro or bullet pen for examples. A block sitting alongside the pen will prevent the transmission from being pushed in to far and will work for all as it's length is only dependent on the end of the tip to the end of the transmission as that will always be the same for the cross type refill. You could occasionally run into a refill that is a little longer or shorter than normal and in that case just swap for a different refill.

greenacres2

Admittedly slow,
earl

You got it Earl, the one spacing block could be used for all the 7mm pens.

I swear I just heard angels singing!! LOL It's a good day. Now I just need to get that one PERFECT transmission insertion so I have my measurement, and we're golden!!
Thanks Rick!!
earl

Last edited:
Top Bottom