Question on Rhino blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kruzzer

I've got a couple of Rhino blanks from PSI and this will be my first time turning this type.
My question is how translucent are they ie. do I need to paint the tubes??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

The allure of the rhino blanks for me has been they are my goto blank when I'm in a hurry. I haven't yet had to back paint the blank before glueing up saving me a day waiting on paint to dry. I also love the look of the blanks.
Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Wagner11

Depends on the blank color I'm sure but there are some that certainly need it

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

TonyL

I paint both no matter how opaque the color appears. The other thing I am mindful of is seeing the painted drill/rifling marks. For me, some colors/hues just are not right for the look I want to achieve - remember, I said, "For me."

magpens

To be on the safe side, .... PAINT ! . Some can be translucent.

I love Rhino blanks, but they can be chippy so turn with care.

Especially love the way they polish up ... brilliant !

Shock me

To paint or not also depends on the pen itself. A Sierra style pen has very little material left at the tip, so the tube tends to show if the blank is at all transparent. Some of the Sierra variants, however, leave more material (LeRoi V2 comes to mind) and will be more forgiving. But of course, when in doubt paint cuz a tube that shows through looks awful.

Curly

Cut a thin slice off the end. Smooth and polish it first if you like. Take the slice and put it on something brassy like a trophy and see if it shows through. If it doesn't you don't need to paint it. If it does then put it on various colours to find one that you like and use that colour.

kruzzer

Pete I like that idea of cutting off a thin slice first..
Since this is a gift pen I think I'll paint to be save.
thanks for all the input.

TonyL

I have turned most of the Rhino and the Acylester out there. If you take a picture, I can tell you what my experience has been. The cut/shave a piece off is a great idea; never thought of it.

edicehouse

I paint the inside of Rhyno blanks. I had one a couple weeks ago actually have a clear spot in it (first time in quiet a few of them).

As my momma said, better safe than sorry! ~Bobby Boucher

Top Bottom