Question on refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have a customer that wants to buy a Gent ball point and use the Uni-Ball 207 Impact RT GEL Bold ink. Does anyone know if Schmidt makes a compatible or will the Uni-ball gel work. I will go to Staples tomorrow and buy one an check it out if I dont hear before that! Thanks for your responses!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

It's been a while since buying Uni-Ball 207's (the anti check fraud ones) but I recall them being about 1/2" longer than the ballpoint refills that come in Sierras. On the old Sierra clicks they fit perfectly when the extension was left out and made the click feel better. If you are going to use them you may need to cut longer tubes to make them work.

magpens

Please keep us posted .... I am interested in what you find, including the nib end compatibility.

keithbyrd

Update - Success! RB-U-344-0620 1.jpeg Customer wanted a retractible rollerball. I ended up using the click cigar. The Uni-ball refill is .505" longer than the Parker refill. So I made the barrel section 1/2" longer and finished the pen. The refill would successfully extend through the nib but I had trouble retracting. I modified several ball point springs all to no avail. The shoulder IMG_1719.jpeg on the refill kept the spring from working properly. Online I found a ballpoint spring with internal diameter to fit over the shoulder - ordered it Saturday and it arrived Monday from California to PA - outstanding service! Put the new spring on and the pen works perfectly!
I think next time I will add 1/4" to both barrel and cap sections to prevent the long look of the barrel.

magpens

Thanks for keeping us posted, Keith !!

Happy to hear that you found a solution, and thanks for that spring sourcing info.

keithbyrd

Yeah, Ed !! . I know, that sounds expensive !! . But ... IF... it is a specialized spring that you can't get easily elsewhere .....
WOW!!! 5 for $6.95!!!!
I was looking for a specific ID and they had it. I did not find any springs with specs posted so I could determine sizes to match what I needed on a couple of other popular websites I went to.

keithbyrd

Just a quick question. Won't a rollerball clog-up/dry out if left exposed like in a retractable pen?
Per the customer - he said it stays exposed most of the time now with no problem - am monitoring it - I have had a refill lying on the bench for 7 days - still works

TonyL

Just a quick question. Won't a rollerball clog-up/dry out if left exposed like in a retractable pen?
I have found them to dry out unless I cap them immediately. I use 5888 or the G2. I actually like the G2s better, but I feel badly for placing a 99 cent refill on an $80 + pen. I hold the cap in my non writing hand, so that I immediately return it to the pen when not writing. I do the same when using a FP.

If I want a RB feel with less drying out, I use a parker style gel in BP pen. They do run out quite quickly, and are more expensive. I kave bought several brands; I like the Montverde the best. Just my experience. Enjoy!

keithbyrd

I have found them to dry out unless I cap them immediately. I use 5888 or the G2. I actually like the G2s better, but I feel badly for placing a 99 cent refill on an $80 + pen. I hold the cap in my non writing hand, so that I immediately return it to the pen when not writing. I do the same when using a FP.

If I want a RB feel with less drying out, I use a parker style gel in BP pen. They do run out quite quickly, and are more expensive. I kave bought several brands; I like the Montverde the best. Just my experience. Enjoy!
I am assuming the United-ball is somehow different since they operate now in click pens and customer said his doesn't!

Top Bottom