Question on Mosaic pins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ccccchunt

Has anyone ever embedded mosaic pins into your pen blanks? I have the opportunity to have a display case set up at a couple of our local pet supply/training stores and I would like to work some pet related items into my turned pens. I am not a huge fan of "themed" pen kits but I just ordered a few of the PSI Cat and Dog pen kits. I was thinking that I could drill through my exotic wood blanks and insert a mosaic pin that would look pretty nice.

Looking to see if anyone had done this and how hard the pin would be to turn. I have turned brass and aluminum on my wood lathe before so don't think hardness would be an issue. Or maybe inlay and sand to final thickness?

1655311235049.png

jttheclockman

Yes. Looked in there but only saw stuff for knives. Don't think I will be spinning a knife on my lathe at 2500 rpm!! ;)
That is not true. There are pen turners that use mosaic pins too. I know there is a segmented pen turner that uses them. There is no reason you can not incorporate them in a blank. There are pen turners that use them in their caps. What they do is make a long tube of one and then cut to their needs.

Top Bottom