Question on decals.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scruffy

I have never applied a decal to a pen and have been experimenting. I;m not really satisfied with the results I have been getting. Looked in the library, but I have not been able to find anything applicable. Something may be there, but I did not find it. Does one exist? Can some one direct me to it?

I don't like the idea of having the decal on top of a finish, but would prefer to have the decal encased in some thing like a CA finish. Here's where my experiments have been lacking.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

TonyL

I have already enjoyed limited success with small (paw print decals). There are mor ethan a few members here that really got it down to s science.

I turned my wood blank, sanded to 600 or to 2000 dry, cleaned with DNA, and a paper towel. I understand that DNA is not compatible with all woods, but I went ahead and used the DNA anyway.

Then apply 4 to 6 coats of thin CA (make sure you get it on the ends. Then apply the decals. I try to find decals without any clear section or edges; its shows fingerprints.. Then I apply apply 3 coats of medium CA without accelerator on top of the decals. And another 2 coats of medium with accelerator, dry sand with 600 abranet to 12000 grit (wet MM). the use your plastic polish. Again, others do a much better job than i do.

Top Bottom