Question on chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

I've been looking at getting a new chuck, Nova G3 30th Anniversary kit. I now have a PSI (non-Barracuda) chuck. Is there a real difference between the 2 or am I just engaging in Stuff Lust?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

You don't say what chuck you have (PSI has several) or what you use it for, or want to use it for. Bigger and/or better chucks are best for holding larger work pieces. A high quality chuck will be more accurate and have less run out.

one of the biggest differences between chucks, other than what I already mentioned is the style of jaws and the jaw options available. The PSI chuck I have (Baracuda 2) only has the serrated style jaws with the teeth. Other brands come with dovetail style jaws, serrated jaws and a wide variety of sizes. I have multiple chucks and jaws and depending on what I am doing determines which one I use. Other than the Barracuda 2 I also have Stronghold, Talon, Super Nova 2 and the G3.

KenB259

Been looking at the G3 as well; the pen jaws look interesting.

I have both , I would be lost without either one of them. They are awesome quality and with the pen jaws I very rarely get a hole that is not dead center. A centering bit is also a part of that equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

John Eldeen

I like to turn all kinds of thing so it seems like I am constantly changing jaws on my chuck. I currently have 2 of the g3 chucks with lots of different jaws and they are great. With that said if I had it all to do over again I would not have bought the g3. I would have went for the easy wood tools chuck it has a couple of features that really appeal to me. One is the obvious the easy jaw change the other is the hand ring on the back of the chuck to adjust the jaws with out the chuck wrench. The bad part is the cost. For me I already have far to much invested in jaws for the g3 to change.

pshrynk

I like to turn all kinds of thing so it seems like I am constantly changing jaws on my chuck. I currently have 2 of the g3 chucks with lots of different jaws and they are great. With that said if I had it all to do over again I would not have bought the g3. I would have went for the easy wood tools chuck it has a couple of features that really appeal to me. One is the obvious the easy jaw change the other is the hand ring on the back of the chuck to adjust the jaws with out the chuck wrench. The bad part is the cost. For me I already have far to much invested in jaws for the g3 to change.

Those do look nice. The co$t would be the main thing keeping me from going there, as well.

Buckmark13

Well said and I'm in the same boat!

It seems no matter what I'm doing, the other jaws are on the chuck. And those little screws then have to come off and back on.

I was fortunate enough to recently get two additional Nova chucks, so that's been a huge windfall, but nonetheless the jaws I want somehow seem to be in the drawer and not on a chuck.

John Eldeen

True that. gotta do a cost analysis and figure out a way to get it in the house without the Spousal Unit Mk III catching wind...
Good luck with that. I quit trying to be sneaky and started using a more direct approach bribery so far my success rate has dramatically improved.

More4dan

I wanted to go with the "best" quality and purchased a Vicmarc based on their reputation for accuracy. I've been disappointed. The first had 13 thousandths runout, returned it and the replacement had 8 thousandths runout, should have been 3. I should have looked more closely at the G3.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom