Question for the experts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon007

When using a pressure pot, is there such a thing as to much pressure? I plan a few castings I need to pressurize. All my previous castings have never been. I see some use 60lbs. Can 120psi be used? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm certainly no expert, but if I'm not mistaken then the standard pressure pot comes fitted with a pressure relief valve. The normal pots are rated at about 80psi max and the pressure relief valve releases pressure around 70-75psi.
Please don't use a pot without the relief valve. It could seriously injure you or worse[:(]

OKLAHOMAN

Steven is right and you only need to pressur to 30-40psi for most of our applications. I will go as high as 60psi on my cactus because so much air is trapped in the skeleton.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
My PPot (be good) has a warning stamped into the steel on the lid: Do NOT exceed 80 psi.

I had to remove the pressure relief valve on my HF pot because it started leaking at about 35 pounds. But I set my air compressor's regulator to 70 psi and the pressure regulator on the PPot to 60 psi so I have a double safety installed.

GK

toolcrazy

My very first casting, last weekend. I set my Pressure pot to 40psi and I seem to have no bubbles at all. I've read here, you can go as low as 20psi with good results. I set mine to 40 becuase my tank looses about 5psi in 12 hours.

neon007

As far as my pressure pot, it is homemade, not harbor freight. It will hold alot more pressure. I just want to know if the added pressure will affect the resin in any way? Thanks.

its_virgil

No, but if 20-30 psi gets rid of bubbles, why go higher? I've cast as high as 65 psi and can't tell any difference in the casts I now do at 25psi.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by neon007
<br />As far as my pressure pot, it is homemade, not harbor freight. It will hold alot more pressure. I just want to know if the added pressure will affect the resin in any way? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom