Question for texans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken69912001

I recieved a piece of wood from a friend who belongs to the International Wood Collectors Society. Its a piece of live oak thats supposed to be from The Treaty Tree in Austin Texas. Can anybody give me some information about this wood and the event.I think its more than likely this tree came down and they cut it up and maybe sold some of it. I really dont know. I have a picture with a label on it.

200681423133_oak1.jpg

Is there anybody interested in aquiring this piece?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Not a Texan but I googled and found this.

Austin's Treaty Oak is about 500 years old and was supposedly the site where Stephen F. Austin signed a treaty with Native Americans.

But it was what many considered its attempted murder by Paul Stedman Cullen in 1989 that made the tree famous to most moderns.

Cullen, who had a criminal history, drug problems and an interest in the occult, poured a powerful herbicide around the stately tree's base in an attempt to break a spell of apparently unrequited love.

News reports drew international attention to the tree as it struggled against the poison, while experts tried to save it and authorities hunted down Cullen. Eventually, Cullen served three years in prison, and about two-thirds of the tree died.

Yarael

Yep thats pretty much the last I heard about it. I was a Huge tree. I remember seeing prior to that physco poisoning it. Was a very pretty tree. Havent seen it since except just driving by it in austin. Heck not even exactly sure where it is at now been to long. Last I remember had a big fence around it so no one could get close to it. Such a shame that one person does something that then causes this to happen.
Now if that peice of wood is actually from the tree I would have no idea. If it is I would love to have it. I know quite a few people that would like a pen or something made out of it.

ken69912001

Kyle the guy I got it from had it for quite awhile. The society that he belongs to is very wide spread. So I would tend to believe him. They collect wood from all over the world. So I would rather see sombody from Texas have as it is part of that states history.

alamocdc

Ken, make sure you use the information in the link DFM gave you and create a Certificate of Authenticity for anything you make with it. I've done this for the Heritage Liveoak burl I got from Dario and the buyers love it. BTW, it also raises the selling price because once these woods are gone, they're gone. Not as impressive as Kauri or Irish Bog Oak, but still...[;)]

AdamKBauer

Ken,

What did you end up doing with this wood? If you by chance cut it up do you have any pieces left? I know some people that would love a pen made from treaty oak wood. After all people here in Texas are rabid about these kind of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom