Question for kitless fp folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

For those who make kitless fountain pens, do you tune the nib before selling or refer the tuning out to a professional? Or is it needed with high end nibs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

If a special grind is requested, I leave that to professionals; otherwise I test and smooth it myself.

I always do one or the other - no fountain pen leaves me "untuned".

Hippie3180

Any tips or good vids that will reach someone how to tune a nib?
There are You Tubes on the subject, if you do a search several will come up. The thing is you will need to tune the tines up or down and adjust the slit, also smooth the tip, a bit daunting with such delicate parts.

duncsuss

Any tips or good vids that will reach someone how to tune a nib?

I've posted links to Richard Binder's "nib smoothing workshop notes" a couple of times. Be careful of stuff you find on Facebook, and be very wary of anyone who tells you to use knives/scalpels/pliers on nibs that aren't already trash, because you can quickly turn them into that.

duncsuss

Here's a link I found

That's part one - scroll down to the section "

"Lots of Don'ts, Not a Lot of Dos?"

" and you'll see a link to the PDF I mentioned.

Good luck - I recommend you buy half a dozen cheap fountain pens to practice on (I got these from Amazon for $3 each) and the smoothing kit from Indy-Pen-Dance that Richard uses in his workshops. A bottle of Waterman's Serenity Blue ink is a reasonably priced quality choice to use to standardize your testing.

Top Bottom