Question for hearing aid users

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
How long did it take before you noticed a difference when you started wearing your hearing aids? I ask because I've been trying mine for about four weeks now and so far I can tell no difference.
For what it's worth mine are Resound OMNIA. I I have tried numerous settings and when I get it where I think it's set, everything sounds swishy in the higher pitches. When I eliminate the excess noise and my voice, everything sounds normal like it does without hearing aids.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

henry1164

Simple answer - as a digital hearing aid user for more than 20 years - if you don't have immediate relief then I would believe that there is something wrong with the equipment unless your hearing correction is so slight that its hard to tell the difference. When i put the aids in my ears I know immediately that they are working. As an example, if the battery failed I would be able to tell that there was a lack of amplified sound. I would check back with your audiologist/ENT to see what's up. Good luck.

Kenny Durrant

I've been wearing them for 30+ years. I could always tell a difference right off the bat. My hearing is bad enough that without them I'm deaf. Hearing aids are a huge pain so it's my opinion those that can get by without them don't like the hassle so choose not to wear them. If you can't tell a difference I'd get with the person you bought them from and see what the problem is.

Humongous

Absolutely if you don't notice an immediate difference you need to go back and get them tuned. Your provider should allow as many visits as it takes to get them right. This should be at no cost to you, it's in the price of the hearing aids. When I first got mine I kept a log of issues and we addressed them when I went back. There are numerous settings that you don't have access to without their specific software.

Woodchipper

How much difference do you experience when you take them out? Try setting the TV at a certain level then take them out. Big difference? If not, see your audiologist for adjustment or replacement. I noticed a big difference with my hearing aids which are Phonak, reputed to be the best. Mine interface with Bluetooth and have settings that I can use, depending on the situation. My phone rings and the tone comes through the hearing aids, scaring the bejabbers out of me. However, I had poor hearing in open places so I was given a microphone that has different settings. I can set it on my briefcase in my Bible study class and hear everyone. I can hear in the class or restaurant up to 30 feet. So don't gossip. But restaurants are a different story. Even with the mocrophone, I get background noise which drowns out the people at my table.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Thank you for the replies and insight.
After trying them tonight in a noisy restaurant, the only difference I could tell when using them was that they picked up more of the noise of the restaurant than that of my wife setting across from me. When I used the app on my I phone to filter the noise, I could tell no difference in her voice with or without the aids volume turned up.
Guess I make another trip to my audiologist on Monday.

MTViper

Before you go to your audiologist, look on YouTube. There may be videos there from the manufacturer that show how to adjust them. I get my hearing aids from the VA and the current set I got during the CV lockdown. I got to the office for an exam, then they mailed me the hearing aids. Everything I know about them I learned from the videos.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Before you go to your audiologist, look on YouTube. There may be videos there from the manufacturer that show how to adjust them. I get my hearing aids from the VA and the current set I got during the CV lockdown. I got to the office for an exam, then they mailed me the hearing aids. Everything I know about them I learned from the videos.
Already done that

Woodchipper

Monty, as I mentioned before, even the microphone doesn't help in noisy environments as restaurants. Cracker Barrel is the worst with tile floors. I'm lucky as the audiologist at my VA will call if there is a problem. If not solved, I make a quick trip so she can check it on the computer system. So far, so good.
BTW, veterans: If you qualify for VA benefits and are more than 90 miles from a facility, one can go through Community Care for local care. Gpt a call for Murfreesboro, TN to get an echo cardiogram. 2-1/2 hours and drove it many times over the years. Opted for CC and a local facility.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I contacted my liaison at Tru hearing the insurance company for hit my hearing aids. They are going to contact the audiologist and hopefully on Thursday and we'll see if we can upgrade to a better hearing aid with a little more control for not much more out of pocket.

Top Bottom