question about types of glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hardwoods

I have a question about what type of glue would be best for gluing items to the tube? The items to be glued would be plastic,feathers,paper,verneer,. Then after they are glued what type of cover would be best before you cast the PR. I also would like to know how much heat is formed from the casting process? As this would have a bering on the glue being used. P.S. I have looked in the library but could not find any discussion on above questions Thanks for your help Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I use CA (usually thin) for glueing itens to the brass tubes. NOTE: any kind of glue will make a mess on glueing FEATHERS to the tube. They are done by wraping fishing line or some other line around the feathers beyond the tube ends. I have used TINY amounts of spray adhesive to secure feathers, but the string works better than anything I have tried.

I have also used transparent "double stick" tape to secure itens to the tube, but my first choice is usually CA.

bruce119

I have been using Mod Podge with good success with paper it is water base so you need to let it cure for at least 24 hrs. CA is always a sure bet but it is messy and not forgiving at all you have to have a plan and work fast. Now feathers is another beast altogether I have used epoxy but it is tricky trying to get the rite tack.

Hardwoods

What I had in mind was using a hot glue gun on the feathers and after they were glued to the tube. Cover with the clear packageing tape. I do not have any idea how much heat is formed when the curing takes place. I read another post were thin CA was used but gave a wet look. Do you think this will work?

bruce119

What I had in mind was using a hot glue gun on the feathers and after they were glued to the tube. Cover with the clear packageing tape. I do not have any idea how much heat is formed when the curing takes place. I read another post were thin CA was used but gave a wet look. Do you think this will work?[/quote]

NO
First off hot glue melts at very low temp. I think lower then PR generates. Depending on the mold mass of the resin you can generate over 150 F. And the tape no way air would be trapped under the tape defiantly noticeable. The wetting of anything is always a problem and with feathers it is all but completely unavoidable. Feathers get there iridescent and a lot of there color though a prism effect in the barbs of the feather the light is bent as it passes through air space in the feather.

The problem air is very noticeable with casting resin. You cast the feather you fill/wet the air space in barbs of the feather losing the prism effect. Some feathers work better than others, That is why you mostly see pheasant feathers, Parrot type feathers hold there color well also.

Experimenting is half the fun and most the cost. Go for it have fun let us know how it goes.

.​

Just a thought by painting the tubes black, would the dark back ground allow the feathers to retain their prism effect? Would that help, and instead of glue if you paint the tube with resin as you go and then lay the feathers, sticking them down, is that a workable solution for gluing feathers in place? I don't cast but look at possible solutions for problems.

Daniel

on the issue of feathers. do a bit of searching on custom fishing rod artwork. specifically rod wraps or feather inlay. they actually make a product that you can dip the feather in then sort of brush them into place on the tube. you would have to look up the directions though and probably practice at it. The product is the same epoxy that is used for sealing the guide wraps on fishing rods and goes by some name like gel coat or something like that. it builds up thick and can be applied bubble free.

Top Bottom