QUESTION ABOUT TURNING PENDANTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I have never turned a pendant and want to give it a try.
My question:
Does everyone pretty much turn end grain for the face of the pendant?

Very few posts or other instructions on the internet talk about wood. Ed Davidson uses end grain in his pendant video but not sure if he always does.

Any help for my ignorance would be greatly appreciated.

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

For me it's no. The beauty of pendants is you can make them just as you want the wood to look.
Lin.

Just saw demo on this...

Carmen,

Just saw a demo on this 10 days ago at the Gwinnett Woodworkers Assn., weekly meeting. Eventually this will be on our U-Tube site when the demo is edited and placed on U-Tube. gwinnettwoodworkers.org
There should be a link to our U-Tube site. If you're ever in the Atlanta area on a Saturday we'd be pleased to have you visit us. Caution, we meet in one of the best stocked woodworking stores in the USA. Peachtree Woodworking Supply, Jimmy Carter Blvd., Norcross, GA.

I've forwarded your request to the gentleman who performed the demo.

Hopefully my forward to this gentleman will contain sufficient information to enable him to reply to your inquiry. If I hear otherwise I'll try to get any info to you. There were no handouts.

Good luck,

Charlie

Drcal

Thanks, Charlie. That was above and beyond. You are very kind. That is what I love about this forum...everyone is willing to help.

Carmen

nava1uni

I have turned a few and just used wood that I had in that size. Some was end grain, some side grain or cross cut. They all worked fine. Corian and acrylic also work very well.

sailing_away

Ruth Niles has a couple of videos on her website as well as step by step instructions. I have made several. It really depends on what the wood looks like. I have turned wood both with end grain and side grain. Both turn well. I agree with Cindy, corian turns very nice. I have a few pieces of corian if you are interested. I am also in Tampa.

monophoto

All of the pendants I've turned have been face grain - because that's what occurred to me at the time and not because it's right or wrong.

By the way, normally pendants are thought of as jewelry, but they also make great 'pulls' for cardigan sweaters or jackets.

Top Bottom