Question about threading

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

My machine is only 12x30. with that new collet chuck on there, it looks like a turbine. James Keenan built the chuck set up for me. I know that the 3 jaw chuck is just as good as collets, but I am afraid of the spinning fingers. I am used to working with collets. I bought an entire set of collets cheap and also have a bunch of 5c collet expanders so I can grab inside small parts. It's a cool chuck too, it does not use a draw bar. You just turn a nut with a T bar and it pulls the collet in. Someday soon I'll figure out how to mount a cutter into the tool rest...I still have no idea what most of the cutters I have are for.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
it's too bad I read this now. I just gave away about two dozen 5C collets I
picked up at a yard sale. Most were unused, some were the type you customize
yourself.

JeffinWIS

I'll interject Charlies post because it all relates and I am being informed here too. I have those same cutters he has there plus this other set. I think the second one from the bottom is a thread cutter for outside threading. It comes to a skinny point but also it is tapered on the bottom side. Am I correct that this is a thread cutter? I am pretty sure I know what a couple of the other cutters are for, but how about someone list what they all are, for me and anyone else starting at the top. Thanks!

Jeff, the bottom tool looks to be a grooving or cutoff tool…would take a better pic to verify. The next tool does appear to be a threading tool…double ended 60* insert? Check the angle with a "fishtail". The next one is the more-or-less industry standard turning/facing tool with an 80* diamond insert? The 5* negative lead angle on the front and side allow turning to a square shoulder or facing down to another diameter. The next tool is just the opposite hand for turning toward the tailstock or facing on the headstock end of a part. You can also put this tool on the from side of your toolpost/parallel to the "ways" and use it like the previous tool. The next tool, with the square insert, can be used to turn where you're not going up to a shoulder, although it's likely marketed for 45* chamfering…that's what I would use it for. The next tool is mostly useless, IMHO. It's supposed to be a rough turning tool…again, it won't go to a square shoulder, but the idea is to allow you to use the 100* corners form the "regular" turning/facing tool. You could set it at an angle and be able to do some facing with it. The last tool is a boring bar. It will be okay for larger diameter and shallow bores only. Are you using a 4-way tool post or a quick-change tool post?

Top Bottom