Question about label casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I believe any kit will have enough blank thickness for embedding a label wrapped around the tube. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. The biggest limitation is probably the size of the label itself and the amount of printing you can put on it. A label for a 7 mm tube would be smaller than a label for a 10 mm or larger tube.

jttheclockman

No you can add labels to any tube. Just adjust label to fit. Labels get lumped in with decals but the same goes for decals.

DFR

Should have been more specific, thinking about photos on the label. What do you think the smallest tube would be that you would still have good view of photos?

JohnU

I would think a Sierra or bigger. It's real easy to lose site of an image as it rolls around the smaller tubes, but I guess it will all depend on what your image is.

magpens

@JohnU or @mbroberg or ???

Here's a guy who needs a picture on a pen blank (he posted in another thread):

magpens

Is there a minimum size tube that can be used for label casting thus limiting what pen kits can be used?
@DFR
A lot depends on the "width" of the label compared to the circumference of the pen kit tube (assuming the length of the label fits the tube length)

The circumference can be accurately calculated as : pi x measured diameter .... where pi = 3.14159 (recall your school math/geometry)

For a "7mm" tube (so-called) that is used in a slimline pen kit the circumference is 3.14159 x 0.265" = 0.832" or 2.11 cm (21.1 mm)

(the diam is 0.265" or 6.73 mm .... a little less than the "so-called" size of 7 mm ( "so-called" size becuz of the drill size to be used of 7 mm)

So, you could use a label of size 0.832" x 2.08 " (or 21.1 mm x 52.8 mm) if you want your label on a slimline. (tube length 2.08" = 52.8 mm)

I do not think that a person's photo wrapped around a slimline would be very attractive. . As John stated, probably a Sierra pen kit would be a minimum acceptable size for viewing a wrapped photo. . Depends a bit on the subject of the photo.

For a Sierra twist pen kit : tube diam = 0.406" = 10.3 mm, and length = 2.20" = 55.8 mm

So your label could be as big as 32.3 mm x 55.8 mm. . (But you may not want image wrapped right around ... adjust the 32.3 mm as required.)

These sizes assume you want the label to wrap all the way around the tube. . This may not be what you want, so adjust as required.
I have also assumed that you can get the label to stick perfectly to the brass tube all the way around ... there could be some lifting, especially near the "seam" where one edge of the label meets the other when wrapping the label all the way around the tube.

Also, get someone to check my calculations .... I don't offer guarantees !!! :)

JohnU

Don't let the math scare you. It's not that hard. Another way to size it up is wrap your tube with blue painters tape and cut a straight line through it from end to end. Peel it off and there's the size you need. Just be sure to size your label 1/8" - 1/4" larger so you have an overlap. If there's an object in the picture you can cut along, do that to have a seamless blank. I made these blanks a couple years ago and used the tree edge on the upright image to. It along so there's no seam and e image just continued around the pen. These are Sierra size and I think the resin magnifies the image nicely. If your printing your own labels, get "weatherproof" labels from Onlinelabels.com. I like the full sheets so I can cut them the size I want. I use MS Word to create the sizes and print. I always make a test print on normal paper and cut out and wrap to see if it works or needs fine tuning. Then I keep the document in a folder in case I need to make more quickly. Plus you can always see what sizes your images are to copy the size on others. Hope this helps. Good luck.
6C9A7A08-4A79-450A-8980-ABBC3BAA2963.jpeg

magpens

@JohnU

How nice .... the voice of experience !! :) . Just what we needed !!
Thanks for jumping in here, John, and simplifying the whole thing !! . I knew there had to be a better presentation !!

I can picture how you cut along the tree edge as a way to kinda disguise the seam (right-hand pen).

DFR

Thanks for the info guys. Reason for my question was a veterinarian friend of mine wondered if it would be possible to do custom dog and cat pens with pictures of pets that he could give to people as in memory pens.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the info guys. Reason for my question was a veterinarian friend of mine wondered if it would be possible to do custom dog and cat pens with pictures of pets that he could give to people as in memory pens.
Absolutely. As mentioned easy to size the photo to fit a decal. Use a sierra kit and that way it is an easy kit to make and is one tube and the dimension will always be the same. Now i think PSI makes a dog pen kit so may want to look into that too.

I'll give a+1 for Sierra or bigger. I have several ptownsubbie tube-in molds, including one that does slimlines. I've never gotten a good slimline to turn out. I mean they are OK, but to really show off a photo, I've found the Sierra pen tubes class or cigar styles are usually the best (for me).

Reactions: DFR
Top Bottom