Question about drying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I am in the process of making a pen out of a stick of Elm for a friend. The branch he sent me was already dead but is solid wood. It's about 1.5 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. It has started checking a bit on the ends. I'd like to make the pen next week if at all possible. What is the best way to dry this out so that it won't crack after I send him the pen? Thank you for any recommendations and cautions.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

cut through the pith (center), if it is a branch then the pith is probably slightly off-center, this is more obvious with large branches. If you include the pith or wood near the pith in the blank it is a lot more likely to crack. I would cut into 4 pieces. Remove the bark, paint the ends and weigh each blank with a kitchen scale. A week probably isn't enough time to air dry, which would result in the least cracking. I personally would put them in a food dehydrator and hope for the best. 24 hours is probably enough, but weighing every 6-12 hours or so will tell you if the weight is still dropping. If you use a food dehydrator or toaster oven, you will want to let the blanks sit for a couple of days indoors to get back to equilibrium moisture as they will probably over-dry. Elm is notorious for cracking, branches tend to be worse.

Edit: other drying options -- hot car window, HVAC return, warm window. Basically heat and air flow are what drives the drying. Another option is to boil the wood in water, this relieves stresses and reduces cracking when force drying in an oven. Lastly, you can soak smaller pieces of wood in denatured alcohol or other solvent and then dry - this basically leeches out the water (fire hazard, so use caution).

southernclay

Hey Jim,
I'm having to do this with some walnut this week. I cut up a small log section this weekend and cut it in half. It's about 30% moisture content. I'm hoping to get back in the shop by the end of the week and will cut it into slightly oversized blanks and soak in DNA for 24-48 hours and then let air dry after pulling them from the soak for the same. I'm not around the shop enough to monitor drying with a toaster oven.

qquake

You could always try the microwave method.

Top Bottom