Question about Darts..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Got 1 friend who ask me if I can turn a set of darts, before I buy some kits I would like to know if any one turn some, PSI and Woodcraft sell them, as those kits are good ? what about the plating do it last a while ? what is the difference between ' electronic and steel point '? any comments would be welcome, Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terrymiller

Serge, cant speak on the quality of the plating in these kits alot of people here do not like the PSI kit because of the plating. I believe the Woodcraft kit is PSI kit. The difference between electronic and steel dart are the electronic darts have a hard plastic tip on the dart instead of the steel. You need to find out if he plays on a Bristle Board or electronic Board. You can use the electronic for either but you cannot use the steel on Electronic boards.

chigdon

That is correct. The two types are not interchangable. I used to throw darts quite a bit but have never tried making them. I can tell you that people who are serious about darts are going to want to use only high quality tungsten darts and definately not wood. If they are purely casual use they would probably be fine.

DWK5150

I actually just made my first set for myself. I got them from woodcraft. You need to have a scale to be able to weigh them out so you know how much weight to add to them. Mine are at 14 grams right now. I have gone lighter from what I used to through. As far as how durable they are I dont know yet still to early to tell as I have only used them 3 times but so far so good.

alamocdc

I used to throw in leagues and tournaments, and what I would look for is a convertible set... in fact, I have a set. I don't know if the kits are convertible (the tips change out on these so you can throw conventional (Bristle Board) or electronic). Would I throw a set of hand turned datrs? You bet, but like Don said, you need to make sure the weight is right and balanced between the threesome. I'm not sure I'd like wood though, particularly if throwing conventional. The tips can be quite damaging. I'd probably go with an acrylic for this. Just my thoughts.

EDITED for fat finger removal.

Darley

Thanks for all your comments,

Posted by Bill
I used to throw in leagues and tournaments, and what I would look for is a convertible set... in fact, I have a set. I don't know if the kits are convertible (the tips change out on these so you can throw conventional (Bristle Board) or electronic). Would I throw a set of hand turned datrs? You bet, but like Don said, you need to make sure the weight is right and balanced between the threesome. I'm not sure I'd like wood though, particularly if throwing conventional. The tips can be quite damaging. I'd probably go with an acrylic for this. Just my thoughts.

do changing the point would change the weight of the dart? last question where to find a good kit?

DWK5150 as your darts feeling did you have a go at throwing them, any comments about them?

alamocdc

Serge, it does change the weight slightly, but I haven't noticed enough difference in the flight characteristics to bother me. I've had my share of tons and hat tricks with both. I'm not sure of the best kits since I haven't turned any, but those in the PSI catalog don't look too bad. You can probably get them from Woodturningz cheaper. PSI has them in either steel or electronic tips, but the catalog says that the darts take standard 2ba points and shafts. This leads me to believe that either tip could be used with the darts. This is only my assumption and has not been confirmed.

DWK5150

DWK5150 as your darts feeling did you have a go at throwing them, any comments about them?

Yes I have used them a few times. They seem to be ok so far but the test will be to see how they hold up in the long run. I actually shortened my tubes on mine as I preffer the shorter darts to throw. Just my preferince some people like standard lenght some people dont. Mine I did also turn out of wood which Im kinda curious to see how they will hold up in the long wrong but so far there arent any cracks or anything in them yet. But like I said before the main thing is getting the weight and balance set right for the person using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom