Question about Center Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I have made 1 custom center band for the Jr. Gent. II out of Tru-Stone. I want to make one out of wood, but the way I pieced it together last time won't fly if I want to put a finish on it. So my question is, how do you make a custom CB out of wood and finish it? I would prefer to finish it with CA like the rest of the pen if possible.

I thought about trying to put it on a tapered custom piece of wood to hold it and finish it that way, but I would guess that I would end up gluing them together when I put CA on it.

I also considered lacquer dipping, but then the finish is not all that durable.

ldb2000

Use the tapered piece of wood , otherwise known as a jam chuck , and cover it with either waxpaper or clear packing tape . You will be able to sand and finish your CB and it will just slide off when done . I have used this method many times with great results .

Wheaties

Use the tapered piece of wood , otherwise known as a jam chuck , and cover it with either waxpaper or clear packing tape . You will be able to sand and finish your CB and it will just slide off when done . I have used this method many times with great results .

Man, I was so close. LOL Just needed to think of the wax paper.

Thank you much!!!

rherrell

I turn down about an inch of a blank to the correct diameter and drill it out. I can then file the inside of it to fit, if necessary. Then I finish it and part it off.
I use a CA finish on wood so I score it with an Xacto knife before I use the parting tool.
I find that burls and spalted woods are a bad choice, they tend to fall apart. Stick with the harder woods and you'll have better luck, IMO.:wink:

Top Bottom