question about Aluminite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

How flexible is Aluminite? If you got random strips of paper and wet them with resin, would the cured thin sheet easily crack when it's flexed? I have a project in mind, but I would need a flexible resin for it to work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bruce, I've only made a few Alumilite castings.
However, I have just found the plastic cup that I mixed my last batch in. The sides are coated with a thin layer and can be pressed quite easily. But the thicker layer in the bottom of the cup is pretty firm.

If I remember from the Alumilite site, thicker sets better /quicker.
They also recommend pressure casting to exclude bubbles.

Does your project need to be clear? IIRC there are other Alumilite products better suited to thin castings.

btboone

Skiprat, casting is the wrong term; I just want to wet out some paper thin stuff just enough resin to keep it from falling apart. The whole thing would later be finished over with a different finishing method. Think in terms of newspaper strips (or feathers, or whatever) all coated so that they are a strong and pliable sheet. The sheet could then be cut to size, put in place in oddly shaped cutouts, then covered over with polyester or acrylic in areas that would be tough to do by a normal casting in place method.

THarvey

Would a polyetheline binder's glue work for your application?

I have seen it in colors in office supply stores. It can probably be ordered in "natural" which would be clear, possibly slightly yellow. You might check with your local printer.

It is also know as "padding glue."

This would be strong and flexible.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Mylar sheets are pure polyester. You can probably buy them in many gauges and colors and skip the casting. Not sure if you're looking for something with deadfold properties which means it will stay where you place it or something just flexible. Cut up soda bottles are also polyester, but are not the cured verison so they would melt if heated. There are many varieties of thin flexible plastic out there. Not sure why you want to make your own. You can heat them slightly to shape them if you want.

Top Bottom