Quarter Sawn Spalted Maple Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

These are quarter-sawn pieces from one of the spalted logs that I made two bowl halves. So, smaller in nature. One is 5 1/2" by 2 3/4". The other one is 6 1/8" x 1 5/8". There was a small wormhole in one of them... so I got to play for the first time with Mica Powder and Epoxy.

Also was able to use Ron Brown's Longworth Chuck for the very first time. (It came in the mail yesterday) It is so superior to my old Cole Jaws!!! Right now, he is having a sale on them if you are interested.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple dual 1a.png
    Spalted Maple dual 1a.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
  • Spalted Maple dual 1b.png
    Spalted Maple dual 1b.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
  • Spalted Maple dual 1c.png
    Spalted Maple dual 1c.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • Spalted Maple dual 1d.png
    Spalted Maple dual 1d.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • Longworth Chuck 1c.png
    Longworth Chuck 1c.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
  • Longworth Chuck 1b.png
    Longworth Chuck 1b.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

civilwartalk

Also was able to use Ron Brown's Longworth Chuck for the very first time. (It came in the mail yesterday) It is so superior to my old Cole Jaws!!! Right now, he is having a sale on them if you are interested.
Just looked at one of these, very nice tool! Will the 10" version fit on a Excelsior Lathe? By my measure there is only 1/32 clearance if I measure 5" down from my dead center to the bed.

Why doesn't Rockler post the exact clearance in the technical specs on their web site? "Bowls About 10 inches" doesn't inspire confidence.

civilwartalk

… my mistake… the listing that includes the

3-Piece Rockler Carbide Pen Turning Tool Set

Doesn't say 10 inches, but I guess the "standard lathe" listing does… so I found what I was looking for…

Top Bottom