Puzzled thoughts about the PSI Classic Twist kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I uncovered some of these kits among a collection of disposal kits that I bought from a former pen-turner.
The kit in question is the PSI "Classic Twist".
I went to the PSI website to check out the instruction sheet, which dates to 2008 altho' there is an indication that a revision (V03-2019) occurred in 2019.
In spite of there possibly having been revision(s), the latest available version seems to be mainly the same as the original instructions included in the kit package.

And there are (to me) STILL some glaring errors.

Here is a link to the currently available instruction sheet:

And here is a quote of one of the puzzling parts of those instructions under "General Assembly Hints" with the puzzling part in red :

General Assembly Hints:
• Use PSI Pen Assembly Press #PENPRESS4 to assemble the pen.
• Line up the pen parts according to the Diagram C.
• Thread the cap into the hole in the clip and tighten with the cap nut, leaving the tapered end exposed.
• Press the cap/clip assembly into the pen blank opposite the tenon.
• Slide the front ring on the nose piece and insert into the front tube—press together.
• Insert the threaded coupler into the opposite end of the pen body leaving the threads exposed; press together.
• Insert the pen refill—with the spring—into the pen body. Push the two pen halves together aligning the grain as desired.
• Screw the twist mechanism onto the coupler.

• Glue the center band onto the tenon you cut in the pen cap body making sure you place the squared end against the wood.
• The pen is operated by twisting the halves in opposite directions to extend or retract the point. If the pen point is not
retracting smoothly, try to stretch the spring and retry

** What puzzles me is the ordering of the two lines of instructions in red.

Surely the second line (namely : Screw the twist mechanism onto the coupler. ) should come before the first line .
But if it did . . . then the insertion of the refill could not take place .

So . . . the error cannot be excused as simply a wrong ordering of the two red lines of text .

The instructions need a more significant re-arrangement, and should, to have a logical ordering, be like this :

• Insert the pen refill—with the spring—into the pen body.
• Push the two pen halves together aligning the grain as desired.

So . . . before accepting the criticism that my criticism is simply being "Nit Picky" I have to say this . .

Is it not reasonable to expect that . . . the PSI company . . .
. . . after close to 14 years or more of publishing this set of instructions . . .
. . . for a pen kit that has sold many tens of thousands of units . . .
. . . the PSI company . . . SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP ON AND CORRECTED these errors in logic ? ! !

Or am I just being "Nit Picky" ? . . . Personally, I think there is more at stake than that !

Tell me what you think . . . be as harsh on me as you like . . . I can take it ! ! ! . . :D

By the way . . . try to avoid hitting the "Reply" button . . .
. . . there's no need to repeat my wordy nit-pickiness, if that's what it is ! !

magpens

Also . . BTW . . . there is another logical error in the above-quoted sequence of instructions . . .

. . . tell me if you find it ! !

grpass

I uncovered some of these kits among a collection of disposal kits that I bought from a former pen-turner.
The kit in question is the PSI "Classic Twist".
I went to the PSI website to check out the instruction sheet, which dates to 2008 altho' there is an indication that a revision (V03-2019) occurred in 2019.
In spite of there possibly having been revision(s), the latest available version seems to be mainly the same as the original instructions included in the kit package.

And there are (to me) STILL some glaring errors.

Here is a link to the currently available instruction sheet:

And here is a quote of one of the puzzling parts of those instructions under "General Assembly Hints" with the puzzling part in red :

General Assembly Hints:
• Use PSI Pen Assembly Press #PENPRESS4 to assemble the pen.
• Line up the pen parts according to the Diagram C.
• Thread the cap into the hole in the clip and tighten with the cap nut, leaving the tapered end exposed.
• Press the cap/clip assembly into the pen blank opposite the tenon.
• Slide the front ring on the nose piece and insert into the front tube—press together.
• Insert the threaded coupler into the opposite end of the pen body leaving the threads exposed; press together.
• Insert the pen refill—with the spring—into the pen body. Push the two pen halves together aligning the grain as desired.

• Glue the center band onto the tenon you cut in the pen cap body making sure you place the squared end against the wood.
• The pen is operated by twisting the halves in opposite directions to extend or retract the point. If the pen point is not
retracting smoothly, try to stretch the spring and retry

** What puzzles me is the ordering of the two lines of instructions in red.

Surely the second line (namely : Screw the twist mechanism onto the coupler. ) should come before the first line .
But if it did . . . then the insertion of the refill could not take place .

So . . . the error cannot be excused as simply a wrong ordering of the two red lines of text .

The instructions need a more significant re-arrangement, and should, to have a logical ordering, be like this :

• Insert the pen refill—with the spring—into the pen body.
• Push the two pen halves together aligning the grain as desired.

So . . . before accepting the criticism that my criticism is simply being "Nit Picky" I have to say this . .

Is it not reasonable to expect that . . . the PSI company . . .
. . . after close to 14 years or more of publishing this set of instructions . . .
. . . for a pen kit that has sold many tens of thousands of units . . .
. . . the PSI company . . . SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP ON AND CORRECTED these errors in logic ? ! !

Or am I just being "Nit Picky" ? . . . Personally, I think there is more at stake than that !

Tell me what you think . . . be as harsh on me as you like . . . I can take it ! ! ! . . :D

By the way . . . try to avoid hitting the "Reply" button . . .
. . . there's no need to repeat my wordy nit-pickiness, if that's what it is ! !
Well stated.

Top Bottom