Puzzle #5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
A number of trees are mentioned in the Bible - Olive, Acacia, Shittim, and Almond, just to mention a few.

The challenge for this puzzle is to identify a biblical tree whose name is 9 letters long (singular). It is mentioned at least once in the book of Isaiah.

Send your guess to iap.puzzles@gmail.com and be sure to put Puzzle #5 in the subject field and include your user name in the text.

A correct answer will earn you 1 point. As always, just one entry per person. This contest will close at noon CST on Friday, Feb 15.

Banter is encouraged, but please, no answers or strong hints.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Fetidwood.
Nine letters, and perfect for the construction of the outhouses.:wink:

Last edited:

Sataro

This is rougher than some of my college assignments I worked on long ago. 66 chapters to read by Friday...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #5 Results

We had 31 entries for Puzzle #5 and 18 people got the correct answer which was
TEREBINTH

I was reminded of this tree when I heard our Old Testament Lesson (Isaiah 6) on Feb 10 and I thought that would make a great puzzle question because it is not a common tree name.

The Terebinth is Pistacia terebinthus variation palaestina, also known as Pistacia palaestina - a type of pistachio tree and a members of the cashew family. While edible, I believe the Terebinth nuts are more bitter than the common Pistachio nut (generally Pistacia vera). The Terebinth tree is quite resinous and has been used as a source of turpentine. When Pistachio is referenced in the Bible, I believe that it generally refers to the common edible pistachio nuts (P. vera) rather than the terebinth tree.

The King James Version uses the word Teil rather than Terebinth for the original Hebrew name of "elah", but several popular modern versions use Terebinth.

I didn't check every Biblical translation, but I did see that some don't even mention the tree names in Isaiah 6:13. So, if your favorite translation did not have a 9-letter tree name in the book of Isaiah, I hope you checked a few others as well.

If you did find a 9-letter tree name other than terebinth in the book of Isaiah, please let me know the translation you used and the verse of Isaiah where you found it and I will take your entry into further consideration.

Thanks for playing.
Edgar

alankulwicki7

I was going through my sent emails for the puzzle contest to see if I had the right answers and I couldn't find an entry for Puzzle #5.

Searched the Draft Folder and, low and behold, there it was!

I guess I never hit send :eek::eek::eek:

alankulwicki7

By looking at my post above, it was 12:19am and I probably couldn't sleep so I replied here and never sent the email . That's ok, I was never going to win the big prize after skipping the crossword puzzle :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 46F5CF8F-44B6-49E5-9D9C-2D799079B5CC.jpeg
    46F5CF8F-44B6-49E5-9D9C-2D799079B5CC.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom