Puzzle#5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here we go with Puzzle #5. This is another Wood Identification and I have tried to make this one real easy to make up for the last two.

This may be our last puzzle for this year. I had hoped that we would be able to do a total of 10 puzzles with at least 7 real puzzles, but computer crashes, bill-paying-jobs and life in general had other plans this year. If we can squeeze another one or two in before Sunday afternoon, we will. Otherwise we will just carry over some puzzles until next year.

OK, for this puzzle, there are two logs pictured below. All you have to do is identify one or both of them to earn a point toward the overall puzzle prize total and possibly earn an individual puzzle prize. These logs both came from our farm: the knobby one was growing in the same fence line as that Osage Orange tree from Puzzle #1. The thorny one was growing in a more open area of the farm.

The knobby one is about 4 feet long and 4" in diameter at the base. The thorny one is about 30" long and 10" in diameter at the base. Both were cut near the ground. I have mentioned both of these species on several occasions.

DO NOT POST YOUR GUESSES IN THIS THREAD - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!

Rules for this puzzle:

The overall Puzzle Rules & Universal BASH Rules apply. They can be found here: Puzzle Contest - Official Rules

You may submit only one entry, so take your time.

You must email your guess to iap.puzzles@gmail.com - your entry must contain your guess, your real first and last name, your IAP Screen name, and your email address. Invalid or multiple entries will be disqualified.

Here is a sample reply:

Email Subject: Puzzle #5
My guess for Puzzle #5 is: knobby log & thorny log
John Doe
johndoerocks
johndoe at iknowmywood dot com

You have until 6:00 PM CST tomorrow (Sat, Feb 27) to get your guesses in for this puzzle.

If you identify either or both logs correctly, you will earn one point toward the overall puzzle prize total and be entered into a random draw for the two prizes available for this particular puzzle.

It does not matter which order you guess these trees. All you need to do is provide a correct name for at least one of them. Scientific or common names will be accepted.

Good luck
Edgar

Attachments

• Log1a.jpg
    Log1a.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Log1b.jpg
    Log1b.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Log2a.jpg
    Log2a.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Log2b.jpg
    Log2b.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Log2c.jpg
    Log2c.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #5 is now closed.

I will announce the winners and the correct answers shortly.

Thanks for playing.

Edgar

Top Bottom